Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1™ Annual Protection

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

Mobil 1™ Annual Protection

Not to appear as a corporate shill, but I see Mobil 1 has a new synthetic oil.

Mobil 1™ Annual Protection
    Product Description

This extends the change limits for their Extended Protection motor oil. They claim this can last a year or 20,000 miles. Sounds interesting. I wonder how much it will cost, and if it will be cost effective.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (03-21-2017),Cobrajet (03-21-2017),Fummins (03-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Seems like an interesting idea, anyway. Not sure I would try it with a car still on warranty?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not sure I would try it with a car still on warranty?
    Mobil literature suggests waiting until after the warranty period to avoid problems before using this.

Mobil 1 Annual Protection limited warranty

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-21-2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added quote & link.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This is the oil I run in my Mirage right now...

Name:  mobil1.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  25.2 KB

I tested this oil in my previous car (a 2009 Pontiac G5 XFE that averaged 37.5 mpg). It is supposed to be good for 15,000 miles. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone around 9,000 miles, and here's what they had to say...

Mobil 1 claims this is a 15,000-mile oil, and it probably could be in use that long, but as we mentioned in the previous report, it depends on several factors. Your engine was doing well after this 9,425 mile oil run, so with a TBN of 2.8, we wouldn't be surprised if you could run this oil out to at least 12,000 miles.

It's hard to say if it'd make it to 15K miles without excess wear, but it's possible. Try 12K miles next and check back. If all is well at that time, 15K miles should be fine.

So I would say this... Anyone using extended oil change intervals (10K+ miles) should probably be backing it up with an annual oil analysis to make sure you are not pushing the limits of the oil.

By the way...I just sent in a 5,000 mile oil sample to Blackstone Labs and I will be posting it as soon as it's done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-21-2017),inuvik (03-21-2017),MightyMirageMpg (03-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea I don't know. Oil can only encapsulate so much water. In certain climates where it's foggy or damp constantly I just can't see this working.

But I'm not a oil expert by any means..

Question though, anyone know of a filter that's recommended up to 20k? I use k@n filters and I think I seen a 12k mile limit or change recommendation (I don't remember I just decided to change the filter every other oil changer after seeing It)
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 03-21-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    ...anyone know of a filter that's recommended up to 20k?
    Yes...the Mobil-1 marketing team has you covered...

Name:  Mobil11b.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  54.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (03-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How silly of me not too assume that's the case!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yea I don't know. Oil can only encapsulate so much water. In certain climates where it's foggy or damp constantly I just can't see this working.
    As long as your engine gets up to temperature I'd say you're fine.

I'd be less concerned with the oil itself after 15k miles. I'd be more concerned about other things happening during the 15k miles that effect the oil. That is a good amount of miles for air filters to get dirty (which gets junk in the oil), leaks to happen, etc.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    As long as your engine gets up to temperature I'd say you're fine.

I'd be less concerned with the oil itself after 15k miles. I'd be more concerned about other things happening during the 15k miles that effect the oil. That is a good amount of miles for air filters to get dirty (which gets junk in the oil), leaks to happen, etc.
    Regardless of the water boiling off after temp, when the car sits with water in the oil in mixes in with sulfur (absorbed by?) and is there permanently. It will eventually "build up" in the system.

Again, my oil knowledge is pretty small. But that i know for sure

That being said, a team of engineers said it works! But the myth of oil not consuming water if oil gets hot is just a that

edit- too clarify I am not dissagreeing with you, but making an entirely useless point all my own
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 03-21-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Question though, anyone know of a filter that's recommended up to 20k? I use k@n filters and I think I seen a 12k mile limit or change recommendation (I don't remember I just decided to change the filter every other oil changer after seeing It)
    That's a good question, deserving of a thread of it's own.

From what I understand, filtration is tricky with lots of variables. From what I researched online there are many filters with threading compatible with the 3A92 oil filter boss. Filtration media size can be adjusted with cartridge length & diameter. Filter capacity in volume can also be similarly sized.