Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 year old Spark EV or Spark? I rarely drive and want least expensive to own

I'm pretty sure every Leaf sold is still covered by a battery warranty. 8 years? I think that applies to all EV's.

Also, batteries don't typically fail entirely. It's usually a module or two within the entire system, and they can be replaced individually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm pretty sure every Leaf sold is still covered by a battery warranty. 8 years? I think that applies to all EV's.

Also, batteries don't typically fail entirely. It's usually a module or two within the entire system, and they can be replaced individually.
    Apparently, there is A LOT of fine print on that warranty, and it may be difficult for a 2nd/3rd/4th owner to get satisfaction under the specific terms of it.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-keep-it-valid

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wouldn't consider purchasing an electric vehicle, given that vastly improved battery tech seems to be just around the corner.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-22-2017)

And that'll just make the price of used EV's even more attractive.

I'd say if you can find a good deal on a used one with solid dealer/aftermarket/owner support and enough range that meets your needs, why not?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And that'll just make the price of used EV's even more attractive.

I'd say if you can find a good deal on a used one with solid dealer/aftermarket/owner support and enough range that meets your needs, why not?
    That was my thoughts. I see Spark EVs (my personal fave option) for like 8 grand just off lease. 2014 with 24k miles.

No oil change. No tune up. No Gas.

? How could I NOT srsly consider one? I seldom drive, and if I ever do.. 95% of the time it is under 20 miles in a day. these get well over 70 miles a charge average.

Plug it in. Pay pennies to drive.

Now, I understand in 10 yrs it might need modules, or a battery, and it might be like 4 grand for a battery. However, alllllllll those years buying no gas, no oil, no tune ups? Kinda worth the expense in a way to me.

Plus those EV Sparks are flippin QUICK. 400 lbs ft of torque. 0-60 as fast as or faster than an Evo.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya . now does anyone remember where electricity comes from?
    Plus how those batteries are mined?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Pollution is better controlled at a single source rather than a multitude.

But you are right - we need to stop burning coal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    That was my thoughts. I see Spark EVs (my personal fave option) for like 8 grand just off lease. 2014 with 24k miles.

No oil change. No tune up. No Gas.

? How could I NOT srsly consider one? I seldom drive, and if I ever do.. 95% of the time it is under 20 miles in a day. these get well over 70 miles a charge average.

Plug it in. Pay pennies to drive.

Now, I understand in 10 yrs it might need modules, or a battery, and it might be like 4 grand for a battery. However, alllllllll those years buying no gas, no oil, no tune ups? Kinda worth the expense in a way to me.

Plus those EV Sparks are flippin QUICK. 400 lbs ft of torque. 0-60 as fast as or faster than an Evo.
    If you dont drive that much then oil changes can have longer intervals. Didn't drive much in the last 6 months and my full synthetic oil is still good. If I had the time im sure I could calculate my cost of ownership + Gas for 8 years and it would be less than the battery expense.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pollution is better controlled at a single source rather than a multitude.

But you are right - we need to stop burning coal.
    True. However, we have a South Facing Roof. I know that a good portion of the year it would be completely powered by the Sun if we added Solar. I have friends nearby that get paid by the electric company most of the summer, $100+ a month is not entirely unusual.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to djkenny For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What warranty losses do folks have as a 2nd owner? Not that it is a Deal Breaker if I wanted to go Used.

What freebies or added nice services did a dealer provide with buying a new Mirage? Free oil changes? First service or anything?

I did find out the only needs of the Spark maintenance wise is like a radiator flush and brake bleed after several thousand miles. Hmmm.