Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5,000 Mile Oil Analysis

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You may be looking at the numbers backwards. These reports can be hard to read at first.

The numbers on the right were from my car's very first oil change at around 1,000 miles. This oil was full of all sorts of break-in materials...which is why the values are all over the place. The numbers on the left are from the latest sample.

Check out THIS link which shows some example analysis reports and their associated explanation.

Generally speaking, I'm looking for these things in an oil analysis:

1) Is there antifreeze, fuel or water in the oil?
    2) Is there dirt in the oil?
    3) Are there unusual levels of any specific metals in the oil?
    ah .. ok.. I stand corrected. I have not taken notice of that. So, I zoomed out the pic.. haha.. Thanks for pointing out.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Mitz;60917][I]So how do we translate the report and put it to good use? I'm thinking of putting a FilterMag if it would help.[/I/QUOTE]

Be careful. Magnets put on the outside of a filter (or sump) probably do absolutely nothing. The steel conducts the magnetic flux so none of it actually penetrates into the oil. Do a quick check. Get a magnet and a piece of steel that's 10 or 20 times the diameter of the magnet. Sprinkle iron filings on the side opposite the magnet and see how many actually stick. Probably none. Magnets in drain plugs make more sense. I've seen the oil filter magnets called everything from 'snake oil' to 'outright fraud'.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=owl;60925]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    [I]So how do we translate the report and put it to good use? I'm thinking of putting a FilterMag if it would help.[/I/QUOTE]

Be careful. Magnets put on the outside of a filter (or sump) probably do absolutely nothing. The steel conducts the magnetic flux so none of it actually penetrates into the oil. Do a quick check. Get a magnet and a piece of steel that's 10 or 20 times the diameter of the magnet. Sprinkle iron filings on the side opposite the magnet and see how many actually stick. Probably none. Magnets in drain plugs make more sense. I've seen the oil filter magnets called everything from 'snake oil' to 'outright fraud'.
    Plus magnets loose a bit of their magnetic strength the hotter they get, and on top of that the only metal they may help with is Iron, as that's the only magnetic metal in the engine. Anything the magnet could hold onto will be caught by the filter anyway. All of the oil analysis I have seen for our cars do not show significant Iron wear and I beat on mine for 15,000 miles....so the magnet is a waste.

Based on previous oil analysis of our engine I would say just watch aluminum, TBN, fuel, coolant, and silica and you will be good. Our engines might not be the lowest wearing (per mile) out there, but they are proving to be quite durable.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It appears FilterMag's claims are legit

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/how-it-works/
    http://www.shopfiltermag.com/results2/

While it may be hard to justify, I do not consider it (FilterMag) as a fraud, and just wondering how those residues cling unto the can's wall while there is none on the cans w/o the magnets.

To add,
    Iron is ferromagnetic material while aluminum is paramagnetic.
    https://youtu.be/yk4ACjzDFRY

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    It appears FilterMag's claims are legit
    Well, that is the manufacturer's claim...

Any engine giving off that much iron or steel particles has some big problems!

That being said, I certainly don't see the harm in using a magnet, and I'm sure it will have at least a positive effect on the engine, despite the negative effect on the wallet.

Wouldn't a magnet user want the magnet located on the bottom of the filter instead of the top?

Who knows - I doubt I'd ever get one (kinda pricey for what it is.)

Or, you could just buy your own magnets: Amazon: neodymium bar magnet

But what would it hurt to stick a magnet on the can?
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-24-2017 at 09:25 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

My face is red......

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Well, that is the manufacturer's claim...

Any engine giving off that much iron or steel particles has some big problems!

That being said, I certainly don't see the harm in using a magnet, and I'm sure it will have at least a positive effect on the engine, despite the negative effect on the wallet.

Wouldn't a magnet user want the magnet located on the bottom of the filter instead of the top?

Who knows - I doubt I'd ever get one (kinda pricey for what it is.)

Or, you could just buy your own magnets: Amazon: neodymium bar magnet

But what would it hurt to stick a magnet on the can?

This bothered me all night. This morning I got an empty can, a magnet and a spoon. I stuck the magnet on the outside of the can and stuck the Spoon inside. The magnet actually attracted the spoon through the can.

I am properly ashamed of myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here's my latest 5,000 mile oil analysis. My Mirage now has 30,000 miles on it. I continue to use Mobil-1 Extended Performance 5W30 oil with a Mobil-1 M1-110 filter and change them at 5,000 mile intervals.

Remember that I'm doing this every 5,000 miles just to establish a solid pattern of oil analysis results for our cars.

Don't forget that the most recent numbers are on the left side of the page.

Name:  oil_analysis_09_2017.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  101.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

anog (09-23-2017),Cobrajet (09-23-2017),Daox (09-23-2017),Eggman (09-23-2017),Wayne (09-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    With the wear doing so well, and more than sufficient TBN, do you plan on extending your change intervals?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The most I would do at this pont is to go out to the 7,500 interval specified in the service manual. But I probably will keep changing it every 5,000 just because I'm a little OCD. Plus I like rotating my tires every 5,000 miles...so I just do everything at the same time when the car is up on the lift.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any reason you've decided to run 5w30 instead of the suggested 0w20?