Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audio improvement?

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    No, after plastic & plywood adapters they're about same depth with stock speakers.

Last edited by FreeYourSOUL; 03-23-2017 at 02:03 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeYourSOUL For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (03-23-2017),Eggman (03-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Thanks, that's good to know. I want to avoid using plywood, and I also want to avoid a speaker that intrudes too much in the passenger compartment. I suppose that is the tradeoff with better quality speakers - bigger the magnet, bigger the sound? I guess I was looking for a fit that didn't require adapters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    I think that almost impossible to find aftermarket speakers to fit without adapters. After using adapters my speakers sits perfectly behind door trims just like the stock ones.
    Name:  20170323_200724.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  100.7 KB

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeYourSOUL For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (03-23-2017),Eggman (03-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's good news then. Thanks for posting a photo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually pleasantly suprised by the 2017 audio experience. Including sound.

I have upgraded almost every car stereo I've ever had over the years and I've had 15 vehicles.

Some with huge elaborate systems.

It's probably the fact I'm a Lil older now but I am not touching thelse cars or my trucks stereos. If it was absolutely terrible I might but luckily that's not the case.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (03-26-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

What I learned . . .

I talked to a couple car audio shops and learned that there is no cheap and easy way to make much improvement. One shop suggested to sound much better, the car would need everything replaced (head unit, amp, wires, speakers, sound deadening) and further suggested that just replacing any one component wouldn't likely give great results. Total for everything, including install and tax in CND was about $1350. This was for a pretty basic aftermarket system, too - nothing high-end, it just all adds up. Just speakers won't do it, they assured me.

Another shop suggested I really focus on the sound-deadening aspect, installing much more material in all four doors and the hatch, and then also replace the head unit and see how that works/go from there. I didn't get a quote on that, but with labour and materials, likely $700 or so. This would be complicated likely by the Krown/Rust Check that is sprayed in the door panels already.

I started down this road thinking if I could get a big improvement for relatively little money/time/effort I would like to. Given that I don't drive that much and am not an audiophile, I don't think I'll be upgrading.

I also reason that the Mirage is not a luxury car, and throwing a bunch of stuff in it to try to make it into a luxury ride seems silly. If I thought that spending the money would make it AMAZING, I'd be tempted, but I suspect road and wind noise won't really go away, and I'll go from "OK" to "pretty good".

I will now accept the Mirage for what it is - inexpensive, basic, adequate - and spend my money on luxury/fun elsewhere.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and shared their builds. It's inspiring, and good to know that if I ever blow a speaker or need to replace something it's not too hard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)