Thread: Want to buy mirage how does it handle mountain driving?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Want to buy mirage how does it handle mountain driving?

Im in the market for a new car and really like the mirage SE. My main concern is if it will handle going up steep grades in high elevations. I am an avid hiker and will be driving at least twice a month to places where i end up parking my car around 7000 ft elevation at the trailhead to begin hikes.

My last car was a 1990 automatic 3 speed corolla and I regularly drained and filled the transmission. The transmission got pretty hot even with an aftermarket cooler in addition to the cooler on th radiator, to the point of spewing fluid out of the vent hole sometimes. The corolla had 102hp and weighed in at 2400lbs.

I got to test drive the mirage and see its acceleration is just about the same as my old corolla. My main concern is will continuous mountain driving kill the mirage cvt transmission? Will it strain the engine too much? I also wouldn't know how to drive a cvt in the mountains. I know to drive uphill on conventional automatics i need to select the appropriate gear to make sure the car is not doing low rpm's because that causes transmission wear and builds excessiveheat. Usually turning off overdrive is best going up steep slopes and choosing a low gear for going downhill to engine brake.

I don't want to buy this car and end up knowing I'm going to kill expensive components like the engine or transmission because i will be frequently driving it in the mountains where the rpm's will stay high. Also, i need guidance as to how to drive a cvt in the mountains in a way that puts less strain on the anemic but VERY fuel efficient and, in my opinion, nice looking car that is the Mirage.

ALL tips and advice is greatly appreciated. Oh and PS, im looking at an automatic, 2017 SE model mirage with a dealer offering it to me for $11,800. How much more will it cost total to drive it off the lot with all fees and taxes approximately to know how big of a loan to apply for. Is that price i gave too high too? Oh boy i got off topic again. Thanks again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have had no problems with steep grades with my CVT Mirage. If I understand correctly, the Jatco CVT7 model in the Mirage is rated for heavier classes of vehicles, so I expect it to handle just fine being pushed in the lighter Mirage.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It handles mountains great. I drove around Mt. Rainier several times and had no problem going up hill. However, last time I went I went on the main highway road and found myself going down a really steep road. I had a BMW on my arse and it was terrifying with the small brakes.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does the CVT engine brake on it's own?

I got my wife a 2015 Rogue AWD CVT last fall and have noticed that often going about 40 or less, if I start a coast but it begins to pick up speed the CVT will ramp up the engine speed to about 2,000 rpm to increase engine braking. Haven't had it on any long higher speed hills to see what it does. When cruise is on it will overshoot going down hill.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We live in Lake Tahoe and routinely drive our Mirage up and over all of the local summits with no issues. I tend to keep a light foot on the pedal and keep up with the Prius crowd as opposed to trying to race over the summits.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Driving from OR to ND through the Rocky Mountains, I did shift into Ds to gain some speed uphill a couple times. However, I never felt like I was rough on her.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive the local mountain roads on the kank (best driving road in my town) and its a blast. Once I put my bigger wider tires on she handles the road even better. I too also have a cvt and it handles it like a beast. In fact people have a hard time keeping up with my mirage on that road lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had an issue when I was camping last year. The hill was very steep and the mirage was loaded down. I couldn't shift from 2nd gear because it didn't have enough power.

In higher elevation it would have been worse.

Another member reported a similar story but was towing a trailer and stuck in "3rd at 5k rpm" if I recall correctly.

I don't suspect any trouble with the brakes. They're ample size with ample power for such a little car. Even weighed down i never doubted them, but here in WI I don't travel down mountains.

It worth noting the 17s have a roller cam which pays huge down low in RPMs tq wise and the CVT is able to split gears giving it an advantage also. They also have larger brakes up front.

All around the 17s are superior mountain vehicles to the 15s it seems lol

Unless your really weighed down I wouldn't expect problems but I wouldn't be shocked if you did

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it were me, and I had a lot of canyon carving mountain roads.. I would get a Fiesta. I am seeing some stick shift models for the same super discounted $9998 pricing, even seeing some 1.4 turbos for less than 12 grand locally. That would be an incredibly fun car in those driving scenarios, and still gets 40 MPG combined city/highway if you are not too throttle happy.

Not that the price on the SE you are looking at is bad, it is actually better than I am finding in the PNW (I would not pay more than that, I am looking for a stick for less, I probably need to go buy one in CA!).

If you are hitting turns and climbing hills a stick shift will let you take advantage of any horses the car has. Which is limited.

I am not trying to say a Fiesta is better, but for your scenario? Hands down.. IMHO it is the better match. I would check a few out.