Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally!!! Good tech. I bet you will request him if you need more work in the future.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Finally!!! Good tech. I bet you will request him if you need more work in the future.
    Absolutely.. He's practically a celebrity far as I'm concerned. lol
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Fantastic! Glad to read about the resolution to this.

I wonder if your being in a chilly part of the world, this is something that might not happen to in identical Mirages in warmer climates. In the cold, the rubber hangers would contract and be less pliable, more likely to transmit vibration. Did you notice a correlation between outside temperature and the vibration?
    The correlation between temp and rattle was more about the pitch as colder weather made noise higher/sharper. It rattled all summer just a lower note.
    Several things I believe worked together to create this issue:
    - Holes in rubber hangers are slightly oversize to ease assembly.
    - Likely a cheaper rubber compound used for economy so less elastic.
    - Dealership was too liberal with lubricant on stubs and rubbers so hangers never settled in.
    (if you pull rubber hangers from a not new car with some miles on it you will find the stubs kind of stick in the rubber 's holes due to grit, grime or even rust.)
    - The way our engine and exhaust are connected causes not just rotation of rubber hangers but elongation as well under accelleration/decelleration. (under hard accell/decel the engine pushes/pulls entire exhaust back and forth stretching rubbers and elongating the holes. If these forces are moderate to heavy the rubbers hold contact with chassis mounted stubs so no noise. If these forces are light as in econo driving ((especially with CVT where rpm is held in 1600 - 2100 zone where our engine vibrates at it's worst)) the rubbers bounce on chassis stubs, so noise, lots of it) Most of you have manual trans so these forces are more abrupt on accel/decel, more on/off so no lingering light load where rubbers bounce. To create these conditions with MT you would have to drive in one gear with your right foot braced on tunnel holding accelerator pedal constant at say, 1900 rpm. Hold this as you drive through grade changes. In the second or so where engine load changes due to gradient is where the noise is hiding but it has to be light engine loading. You with MT may never see this combination of conditions but the CVT lives right there all the time, especially on cruise control.

Good news is anyone who reads the forum will have a quick easy fix if the issue arises.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

daleWV (01-20-2018),Eggman (01-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, congrats on finally getting it fixed!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (01-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Good news is anyone who reads the forum will have a quick easy fix if the issue arises.
    Hey IchabodCrane how are things working out? Do you miss that rattle yet haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I just had a 17' with 80000kms come in with what sounds like the same vibration. The driver complained once last summer and I couldn't get the car to make any noise. Today I took it for a drive and within minutes it was resonating from the back between 1800-2200. Just under light acceleration. Thanks to this thread I easily found the 2 rearmost rubber hangers had some play where they hook to the body. The rod/hanger thingy next to the fuel tank had the paint worn off completely on the. It was worn much more than the rear one. I tried some heat shrink and lots o'lube for now. It seemed to have fixed it for now. If/when it comes back then I'll try more heat shrink.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-02-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey IchabodCrane how are things working out? Do you miss that rattle yet haha.
    Not so much no..
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just had a 17' with 80000kms come in with what sounds like the same vibration. The driver complained once last summer and I couldn't get the car to make any noise. Today I took it for a drive and within minutes it was resonating from the back between 1800-2200. Just under light acceleration. Thanks to this thread I easily found the 2 rearmost rubber hangers had some play where they hook to the body. The rod/hanger thingy next to the fuel tank had the paint worn off completely on the. It was worn much more than the rear one. I tried some heat shrink and lots o'lube for now. It seemed to have fixed it for now. If/when it comes back then I'll try more heat shrink.
    I'm glad the thread was helpful.
    Did you really mean 80,000 km on that '17?
    I thought I was high miling my '17 with a hair shy of half that.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I'm glad the thread was helpful.
    Did you really mean 80,000 km on that '17?
    I thought I was high miling my '17 with a hair shy of half that.
    Delivery vehicles rack up the miles. 50k miles on a 17 does seem crazy though.
    My 17 has 8,450 Kilometers or 5,250 miles lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow. 160,000km warranty won't last long on those delivery cars.

Will weld for beer.