Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I'm glad the thread was helpful.
    Did you really mean 80,000 km on that '17?
    I thought I was high miling my '17 with a hair shy of half that.

Yeah 80 thousand kms. Most of the cars here put on 6000kms a month. We have 1-17' with just over 100000kms, and about 6 with over 90000km. Warranty will be long gone by next year on a lot of them.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nobody can say you're not getting your money's worth out of them. lol
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Ichabod, I think you are right in your earlier posts about the design of the 17' exhaust being a factor to the exhaust rattle. The exhaust seems much more solid on the 15's I've seen lately. I checked out a few 17's having between 40-80k kms the other day and the rubber hanger just ahead of the rear wheel(2nd from the rear) is wearing out on the top/body part of the hanger. I wouldn't doubt it if those cars made the same noise and just nobody cared enough to mention it. I haven't driven them other than into the shop so I couldn't say for sure.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fummins..
    The entire exhaust shifts forward/backward dramatically on accelleration/deceleration on the '17 and up models due to the lack of a flex joint. This puts a persistent stretch load on the hangars so they will wear quickly.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-09-2018),Nerdling (02-20-2020)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you got the issue fixed. I must say the GT Mirages are sharp!

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I been dealing with this awful noise also all winter long and it's getting worse. I thought it was the chrome tailpipe tip I added and I removed it today only to find the noise was still there. I am glad I re-read this thread. I will be fixing this issue soon like I fixed my power window.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I been dealing with this awful noise also all winter long and it's getting worse. I thought it was the chrome tailpipe tip I added and I removed it today only to find the noise was still there. I am glad I re-read this thread. I will be fixing this issue soon like I fixed my power window.
    Mine is still rattle free so looks like a good fix.
    Funny you mention the chrome exhaust tip though as dealership took mine off claiming it was the cause. lol.
    Will weld for beer.

(in response to the post that was just deleted):

It's not hard to pop the rubber exhaust hanger off. Try the one that's second from the back. Before removing it lift the tail pipe and look for play where the rubber mounts to the hanger on the body. That's where I've seen them wear. Easy temp fix is wrap mount with duct or electrical tape, pop rubber hanger back on and try it out.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-24-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Ichabod, I think you are right in your earlier posts about the design of the 17' exhaust being a factor to the exhaust rattle. The exhaust seems much more solid on the 15's I've seen lately. I checked out a few 17's having between 40-80k kms the other day and the rubber hanger just ahead of the rear wheel(2nd from the rear) is wearing out on the top/body part of the hanger. I wouldn't doubt it if those cars made the same noise and just nobody cared enough to mention it. I haven't driven them other than into the shop so I couldn't say for sure.
    Finally, one thing the 2014/2015 have over on the redesigns! lol Folks exaggerate on there being that big of a difference mechanically/suspension wise. I drive a 2014 and a 2017 and IMO the only difference is aesthetics with the front grille.

I notice zero difference between our 15' and 17's. They all seem equally slow yet reliable.

Mirage videos:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-24-2019)