Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Didn't the 2017s get a different motor mount?
    The motor mount was updated for the '15 model year and unchanged to date. Same one is on the' 18 as well.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Aha, you are correct! I messed up while looking at my parts list. Thanks for making me double check!

However, it did get a new transmission mount.

3A92 engine parts history (changes over the years)

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    It's at least worth trying some different mounts, right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's at least worth trying some different mounts, right?
    It will be if they don't get it sorted out.
    I'm still awaiting back ordered exhaust but had to call them as rattle returned friday lol.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    New, new exhaust was installed on my little rattler today.
    Service manager told me he and service tech took it out for a ride and could not make it rattle.
    I was told to drive it for a few days and decide if I'm happy with the result. The Mitsu rep is to be here Wed next wk so if there's still an issue I'm supposed to present it to him/her.
    I went out, fired the car up and set about re-pairing my phone. While idling I could hear the telltale buzz working it's way into my head. I pulled out of the lot and upon gentle acceleration the rattle returned in all it's glory. I drove the 10 blocks to my next stop, phoned the service dept, informed them the rattle was now worse than ever and I would most certainly see them Wednesday.

I plan to skip work Wed and sit in the dealership from opening until I'm satisfied the Mitsu rep has a 100% clear understanding of the issue. I'm gonna push for at least a verbally stated plan (with timeline) for fixing my car and see how it goes.
    Will weld for beer.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-16-2017),daleWV (12-17-2017),Daox (12-16-2017),Eggman (12-16-2017),MetroMPG (12-15-2017),Pryme (12-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What a nightmare! Glad they are trying to make it right though

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I feel it's mostly incompetence and ass covering from dealership at this point. Hopefully Mitsu has a greater concern for a good outcome.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well.. Wed has indeed been a long day.
    I dropped in to dealership this morning about 11:00am.
    Mitsu rep was already there doing his thing. Serv mngr gave me a demo loaner (2018 Mirage GT) and said they'd call when they were done. I asked specifically to meet and speak with the rep. The issue of a meeting was skirted with a statement that they were committed to a resolution. I was not asked to reproduce the rattle or go for a drive with anyone.
    I went about the business of catching up on errands n such since I had the day off any way.
    About 2:00pm I ran out of things to do and was feeling guilty about putting too many miles on this new car (had 27km when I got it) so went back to dealership to wait it out. Upon arrival I noted that my car had not moved from where I parked it. I'm informed they hadn't gotten to it yet. I sat down in plain view of service desk with a thermos of coffee and started my vigil. Within 30min my car was started, warmed up, test driven and taken into the shop.
    About an hour later I went for a good run in the loaner GT just to get a good feel for it and to cool my jets. (I have words about this car but I'll start another thread)
    I ended up back at dealership where I waited without a word from anyone until almost 5:00pm closing when they presented my car to me. They explained vaguely what they had done including changing mounts/dampers around gas tank area? Yada Yada..
    They had test driven it with Mitsu rep and are confident it's resolved. Would I test drive it overnight or just quickly right away... I chose right away.
    Jumped in and drove about 10km loop of city and expressway which allowed cruise settings at 80km/h and 100km/h with some street speeds mixed in. The rattle came on slowly at first then settled into obnoxious and ever-present by the time I returned to dealer. I went inside and let them know what I found. At this point they brought out the Mitsu rep to verify my claim. His name is Peter and since he was in the previous test drive is highly disbelieving. He decides to come with me for a listen. He sits in passenger seat and I put my foot on brake in drive and lightly hit accelerator to bring rpm to about 1600 and it sounds like we're in a hailstorm. I look at him, smile and ask, "does this do it for you or do we still need to go for a ride". He says let's run it a bit just to be sure so away we go. Before we had even cleared the lot and side st he had heard enough. He was dumbfounded at the change from his test drive a few min ago and what was happening now.
    So... They are collectively out of ideas but kept my car so they can grasp at a few more straws tomorrow and I took the new GT home.
    No resolution, no ideas, no clear intent and little hope, even with Mitsu brass involved.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 12-21-2017 at 03:23 AM.
    Will weld for beer.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2017),Eggman (12-21-2017),Fummins (12-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Wow, what an ordeal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Wow. At least a corporate rep has experienced it now, and cannot deny it like the dealer did. Good for you.

I wonder where this will lead? How much can be replaced until it's resolved? I'm still thinking it's a combination of the new exhaust and motor mounts - and the exhaust has been replaced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)