Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Wow. At least a corporate rep has experienced it now, and cannot deny it like the dealer did. Good for you.

I wonder where this will lead? How much can be replaced until it's resolved? I'm still thinking it's a combination of the new exhaust and motor mounts - and the exhaust has been replaced.
    I agree..
    They should have left the exhaust unchanged from 2015. It worked fine with no rattle issues.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Does the GT rattle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My car developed a rattle and was kind of annoying, i thought it was an exhaust rattle problem so i started checking in the engine bay.

Looking around i saw the metal part of the two a/c lines just hitting each other at idle and that was making that nasty annoying noise/rattle.

I went ahead and took care of that and now, i just get the normal vibration at idle from my car and i'm happy, it was and easy fix.
    Last edited by maco35; 12-21-2017 at 08:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maco35 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello maco35 and welcome to the forum.

Great first post! Thanks for joining. I hope you make a garage entry and tell us more about your Mirage, and of course include some pictures as well.

Garage empty: add car

Welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Does the GT rattle?
    Yes..
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maco35 View Post
    My car developed a rattle and was kind of annoying, i thought it was an exhaust rattle problem so i started checking in the engine bay.

Looking around i saw the metal part of the two a/c lines just hitting each other at idle and that was making that nasty annoying noise/rattle.

I went ahead and took care of that and now, i just get the normal vibration at idle from my car and i'm happy, it was and easy fix.
    Glad yours was easy. I'm still waiting on my eureka moment.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Picked up my own car today after work. Rattles worse now than when I brought it in.
    After long sit down with service manager and General manager of dealership here's where we're at.
    The rattle is certainly there, it is obtrusive, excessive and beyond normal but they cannot find or fix it so no resolution. We discussed next steps including litigation, loud and persistent negative advertising by me against the dealership and Mitsubishi, getting me out of this car with minimal $ loss so I can go buy something else (non Mitsubishi)and even the possibility of up selling me to an Outlander..
    They remain committed to a resolution and will continue to discuss options with Mitsu Corporate and see where it leads. As expected all is on hold till after Christmas anyway so I guess I'll pretend it's jingle bells I'm hearing for the next couple weeks.

I'm gonna let this rest for a bit and see if Mitsu can get their s#*t together for 2018.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and input with this issue.

Merry Christmas.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Dang, sorry to hear that they've been unable to fix it up for you. I hope a resolution comes quickly after Christmas. Try to forget it and enjoy the holidays.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So they can't apply brake, put in drive, rev to 1600 rpm, and have someone find the rattle?

Does Canada have a Lemon Law?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    So they can't apply brake, put in drive, rev to 1600 rpm, and have someone find the rattle?

Does Canada have a Lemon Law?
    No. Canada has no lemon law. In fact Canada cannot force/demand a recall on defects or safety issues either.
    Canada can only recommend or request a recall with no legislation to compel compliance.
    When it comes to automotive support Canadians are truly doormats.
    As for the seemingly simple locating technique..
    The Gen manager and I tried it momentarily yesterday. He listened while I held revs in rattle zone. Weird thing is I heard it clearly in the car while he heard nothing outside.
    He also heard it inside the car when we drove it so it's not just me.
    There is a definite disconnect between myself and Mitsu/dealer staff regarding the mechanics of the noise.
    They are all looking for obvious mechanical interference, ie two surfaces contacting.
    I feel resonance/buffetting from vibration of exhaust/engine transmitted to the car. Ie soundwaves interacting with weak/loose panels or shields.
    The service mgr keeps saying "the exhaust is not coming into contact with any part of the car"... Yeah, I know, but the car rattles like hell so let's get beyond grade 8 physics and think like grownups. We have already proved the belt caused a hell of a racket and it was hitting nothing.
    Anyway... I can't get a good handle on location either because the only kid I have left at home doesn't have any experience with cars except as passenger and my wife is almost completely deaf so cannot hold rpm in rattle zone lol.
    I will get some people together, maybe pizza n beer AFTER we find it. Put 4 people in car and drive to pick a corner then parked rattle hunt to narrow it down.
    I also want to try disconnecting all exhaust hangars and supporting it from the ground while it's still connected by the ball/socket joint. Then do a accel/brake test and see if anything changes.

Will weld for beer.