Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dealing with service departments is truly frustrating. I grit my teeth just walking in to say hi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-20-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage ES Navi View Post
    Now I get a little funny noise with mine and even more so when its cold. Odd thing is my 2015 Mirage ES CVT did it and my 2017 G4 SE hadnt done it but just now started doing it at about 5,000 miles. Mine is just the characteristics of the 3 cylinder I guess since both of mine did it and my coworkers 2015 Mirage ES CVT does it and it has 25,000 miles on it. Anyway its like an odd vibration or resonance noise I cant explain in words but when pulling out it occurs between 1,500 and 1,700 rpm and stops if ai continue to accelerate. Now if I cruise in town at that speed ai can still hear it sometimes reaonating through the drivetrain. I dont notice or pay attention to it anymore because my other did the same thing and I guess its just because its not an overly refined 3 cylinder but is very reliable and durable. Do you think this is the sound yours is making?Attachment 10306
    Actually yes. You're describing it as I would describe it. It's always at same rpm under slight load at all speeds and you can accelerate right through it or trans will shift down and it goes away until back in the specific rpm range. At higher speeds it is drowned out somewhat by wind and road noise but still there.
    My issue is that it has progressed to where it actually produces a rattle now, like a loose heat shield or broken plastics hitting together.
    This is where all the fighting and frustration lies when dealing with Mitsu. The resonance may be a normal characteristic but the secondary rattle is not and it only started after 25000km.
    The service manager, service tech, and Mitsu rep are ignoring the secondary issue (the intolerable rattle), simply categorizing it as "normal" because they can't/won't hear it separately from the resonance.

My 14' CVT never did it with either of the 2 engines in it. It's something I cannot tolerate and I would never have bought another Mirage if it had presented in the first car.

Update.. After sending harshly worded email to Mitsu. North America I did receive a response stating that a rep will be in city in about 6 wks and I will get to present my issue to him/her.
    I also posted a harsh but honest review of dealership on Google (I was a little surprised they posted it) and received a call from service manager on Fri. last.
    Dealer wants my car tomorrow and overnight to "try something". They'll give me a car to drive while they have mine.

I get that dealership's hands are somewhat tied when assessing warranty as in having to "reproduce the issue" in shop but I had to go through months of the same battle to "prove" my '14 wasn't starting in the cold.
    It wasn't until I was able to reproduce a breakdown in dealer lot that they stopped blaming me for not knowing how to properly turn a key and actually look for a problem.
    Turns out the car was practically running on two cylinders.

I've taken all the abuse I can tolerate. It shouldn't be this hard.
    Last edited by IchabodCrane; 11-19-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-22-2017),Eggman (11-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'm sorry you have to go through this but I'm glad you share this openly here.

I hope Mitsubishi takes care of this and we learn what the fix is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (11-19-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hope on the horizon..
    Dealership had my car overnight & all day Tue.
    Guess what? Service manager hears a rattle!
    Imagine that.
    Anyway, they removed my chrome exhaust tip and hinted that it's my fault it rattles at speed because he can't hear it now.. But.. It now rattles even worse than when I dropped it off at lower speeds and oddly even just idling in the yard. (it never did that b4).. LOL
    So. They are keeping it until they find it.
    Today they are swapping out the exhaust with a new car to see if this makes any difference so fingers crossed.
    I'm also driving a brand new (70 km on it) 2018 Mirage SE+ package and will be posting a review on it highlighting any differences I find, if any.
    Light at the end of the tunnel?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-22-2017),Eggman (11-22-2017),Fummins (11-22-2017),MightyMirageMpg (11-22-2017),Pryme (11-22-2017),Top_Fuel (11-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the update! I really hope you get things resolved.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (11-22-2017)

Fingers crossed! Tightly. (So they don't rattle!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (11-22-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Fingers crossed! Tightly. (So they don't rattle!)
    haha..
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I picked up my car tonight after work.
    Dealership has replaced my exhaust from orbital joint back with exhaust from a new Mirage in dealer inventory.
    I'm instructed to evaluate the effectiveness of this resolution/repair and let them know what I think on Monday.
    The 50km ride home was an astounding change from the last 21,000km. The "rattle" is all but gone, a 90-95% improvement. There is still a ghost of the rattle if I listen hard enough but it's very low note and not intrusive to the driving experience. Most normal people would not notice it at this level.
    If I agree Monday that the issue is acceptably resolved Mitsu is going to ship a "factory new" exhaust which will be installed on my car and the current one returned to the inventory car. Not sure why current new exhaust can't be left on my car and next new one installed on dealer's donor car but that's what Mitsu wants.
    Tonight was the first time I've fully enjoyed driving my car in over 21,000km / 8 months.

Notable points..
    - Service dept would not admit/verify whether my old exhaust rattled after removal from my car. All they would tell me is that when they tipped it on end nothing came out.
    - After I got home I crawled around under the car checking things out. I gave the tail pipe a good shake and heard... a rattle?! Yup. The rear hangar makes an audible rattle against body mounted hangar stub in the top hole of the rubber piece. It seems the hole has enlarged and the rubber hardened enough to rattle rather than absorb engine/driveline vibration at the hangar.
    I'm thinking a new hangar here might bump this resolution to 100%. I'll procure a new one from dealer to test this theory asap. (I'll post video of hangar making noise tomorrow. It got dark b4 I could get it done tonight)
    - Dealer reflashed software in head unit as well. It now appears to match the 2018 I was driving.
    - I believe they reset and/or changed something in engine or trans as well because engine rpm would not go below 2000 even with cruise engaged for most of my 50km drive home. ?

Anyway.. thanks to everyone who shared comments, ideas, and well wishes concerning this issue for the last eight months, it helps. I read about exhaust rattles here and brought it up with service dept several times and it may be why they finally tried it.
    Here's hoping it's over.
    Will weld for beer.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-24-2017),Eggman (11-23-2017),Fummins (11-23-2017),MetroMPG (11-23-2017),MightyMirageMpg (11-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Time for beer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems it's coming together nicely. Yeah it does seem odd they are swapping back the exhaust. I'm sure the owner to be of that car wouldn't want their new exhaust lenses out after being involved and bolted back again lol