Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a $9700 estimate from a bodyshop!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Just got a $9700 estimate from a bodyshop!

Today we had a 17' mirage get backed into by a 5ton truck. The driver was close to a bodyshop and stopped in for a quick estimate. Bumper cover,upper tie bar and are damaged and the hood is crumpled a bit. Headlights might be broken too. Airbags are all fine. Car is still totally drive-able. I haven't seen the car in person yet, just a few pictures. I'll try to post a few pics when the car shows up here.

It's crazy the prices some shops come up with. I'm not sure if they just didn't want to do the job or are just too busy, but I thought that was a little high. The last car I fixed that had similar damage needed $2500 in parts and everything came from the dealer.
    This quote shows $3600 labour, $5000 parts and $1000 for additional costs...and they want the car for 2 weeks.

Thankfully this wasn't our driver's fault. We are waiting for the other parties insurance adjuster to take a look at the car. I suggested getting a cash payout then us just fixing the car ourselves. We could source out parts for well under $2000 and might luck out and get the right color too.
    I've done it for my own vehicle in the past when I worked at the auto wrecker. I got the parts for free, fixed it myself and kept the cash.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Today we had a 17' mirage get backed into by a 5ton truck...
    ...quote shows $3600 labour, $5000 parts and $1000 for additional costs...and they want the car for 2 weeks
    Wow...gotta see some pics of that damage...especially with no airbags deployed!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.6 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol @ $9700, if that was the market price for body parts and labor the insurance company would have just called it a total loss.
    Fuel Log: Good enough

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Lol @ $9700, if that was the market price for body parts and labor the insurance company would have just called it a total loss.
    Yeah for sure. The insurance company hasn't looked at it yet. I'm sure they'll come in with a lower price. If they write it off we'll be buying it back.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Wow...gotta see some pics of that damage...especially with no airbags deployed!
    The car still hasn't showed up yet, here's a pic I got sent.

Name:  mirage leduc front.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  90.9 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-28-2017),Top_Fuel (03-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Find another body shop. Seriously.

Mitsubishi parts are always more expensive than average, and they always take longer to get. But that is ridiculous.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Don't worry I'll be fixing it myself if we take a cash payout. Otherwise we will be taking it to a body shop we've been dealing with for years that is more realistic. We don't pay for anything cause it wasn't our fault, but I still wouldn't take it to that shop cause that price is quote is unrealistic. It's places like that that help keep insurance rates high. I don't know why the driver even took it to this body shop in the first place. Though it's funny to see how crazy that quote is, I worry about all the people who get ripped off by places like that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 901 Posts

cash settlement

My brother's car (not a Mirage) was just smacked on the driver's side front corner - less damage than that - and he was quoted $3k. (100% other driver's fault.) Nothing actually broke, no airbags, nothing structural. The plastic bumper cover is pushed in & has a small crack, parking light popped out, front quarter panel (plastic) is warped a small amount, but not creased or scraped.

I convinced him to take the payout (2/3 of the bodyshop quote). And he did - after having an alignment done and a tie rod replaced to ensure the front end was not affected.

We'll fix his pushed in bumper cover, panel & light when the weather warms up. The remainder will go into a future repairs/car replacement fund.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    My brother's car (not a Mirage) was just smacked on the driver's side front corner - less damage than that - and he was quoted $3k. (100% other driver's fault.) Nothing actually broke, no airbags, nothing structural. The plastic bumper cover is pushed in & has a small crack, parking light popped out, front quarter panel (plastic) is warped a small amount, but not creased or scraped.

I convinced him to take the payout (2/3 of the bodyshop quote). And he did - after having an alignment done and a tie rod replaced to ensure the front end was not affected.

We'll fix his pushed in bumper cover, panel & light when the weather warms up. The remainder will go into a future repairs/car replacement fund.
    Yeah its amazing how easily cars break down. My brother's two door early 2000's Honda Civic got hit on the headlight and something important broke....the insurance company said it would be more expensive to fix than to buy a new car. Mind you this Civic was probably the best condition you could find one in.
    Fuel Log: Good enough

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 901 Posts
    So what'd he do?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)