Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Requested!- Horn Replacement Becomes Electronics and Key Not Working

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Help Requested!- Horn Replacement Becomes Electronics and Key Not Working

I love my Mirage and this is my first issue with my 2015 ES.

This ordeal all started because the stock horn is terrible so I decided to put in a Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn (https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9586053/00826).

Long Version:

I installed the new horn after making a new bracket, putting a negative lead on and an extension on the positive lead the old horn used. Seemed to be working fine.

A couple days later, went to hit my horn and nothing, didn't operate at all. Checked all the wires and narrowed the problem (after pulling a few fuses), that I blew the horn's 10 Amp fuse. I went to get in the car and pick up new fuses when I realized things were bad, real bad.

The proximity key no longer works, dome light doesn't turn on when door opens, an annoying constant beep (even when car is running), and I can only start the car when I put the key in the slot next to the cup holders with or without the replacement fuse. Radio doesn't turn on with the car, etc etc. I'm pretty nervous. I've checked most of the 20+ amp fuses and they all seem fine. I've disconnected the horn and tried removing the relay to no avail. I am currently at a loss for what to do. Hoping to drive for a few hours tomorrow afternoon so all help is appreciated!

Short Version:

I installed new horn, blew a fuse (discovered after pulling a few fuses to find the blown one), and now the electronics in my mirage are acting very very screwy. Desperate for help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you sure that all other fuses are ok?
    Is the beep literally constant or do you mean the intermittent warning chime?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

tomandjerry00 (03-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandjerry00 View Post
    I love my Mirage and this is my first issue with my 2015 ES.

This ordeal all started because the stock horn is terrible so I decided to put in a Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn (https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9586053/00826).

Long Version:

I installed the new horn after making a new bracket, putting a negative lead on and an extension on the positive lead the old horn used. Seemed to be working fine.

A couple days later, went to hit my horn and nothing, didn't operate at all. Checked all the wires and narrowed the problem (after pulling a few fuses), that I blew the horn's 10 Amp fuse. I went to get in the car and pick up new fuses when I realized things were bad, real bad.

The proximity key no longer works, dome light doesn't turn on when door opens, an annoying constant beep (even when car is running), and I can only start the car when I put the key in the slot next to the cup holders with or without the replacement fuse. Radio doesn't turn on with the car, etc etc. I'm pretty nervous. I've checked most of the 20+ amp fuses and they all seem fine. I've disconnected the horn and tried removing the relay to no avail. I am currently at a loss for what to do. Hoping to drive for a few hours tomorrow afternoon so all help is appreciated!

Short Version:

I installed new horn, blew a fuse (discovered after pulling a few fuses to find the blown one), and now the electronics in my mirage are acting very very screwy. Desperate for help.
    Remove the air horn and reinstall the factory horn. Replace all the fuses that are blown if you haven't already, unplug the yellow block with the two fuses inside. Check them to make sure they are both ok. Attempt to start the car without replacing the yellow fuse block (nothing will happen). Now replace the yellow fuse block into the fuses. Now start the car, it should reset itself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-26-2017),FreeYourSOUL (03-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Are you sure that all other fuses are ok?
    Is the beep literally constant or do you mean the intermittent warning chime?
    Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I haven't checked all the fuses, just the 20A+ ones. I don't have a test light with me, just my leatherman unfortunately. I can pull the rest in the engine bay and check.

Literally constant sound that seems like the tone of a beep.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I haven't checked all the fuses, just the 20A+ ones. I don't have a test light with me, just my leatherman unfortunately. I can pull the rest in the engine bay and check.

Literally constant sound that seems like the tone of a beep.
    That's a F.A.S.T. Key error, a error light with a key symbol and a slash through it is probably on all the time also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Then check all other fuses. And follow innuvik's advice. He's an expert on this stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That's a F.A.S.T. Key error, a error light with a key symbol and a slash through it is probably on all the time also.
    This is exactly correct. Any thoughts on how I can correct the error?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is exactly correct. Any thoughts on how I can correct the error?
    Follow the procedure from my previous post, it will reset the system.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Follow the procedure from my previous post, it will reset the system.
    I'll give this a shot tonight, thanks so much for your help, I am in debt to you!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Remove the air horn and reinstall the factory horn. Replace all the fuses that are blown if you haven't already, unplug the yellow block with the two fuses inside. Check them to make sure they are both ok. Attempt to start the car without replacing the yellow fuse block (nothing will happen). Now replace the yellow fuse block into the fuses. Now start the car, it should reset itself.
    This was a lifesaver! Thank you so much!

Weird part though, engine did start with the yellow fuse block pulled.