Thread: How much did your mpg increase from new to broken in?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How much did your mpg increase from new to broken in?

I have already noticed my cars mileage going up and I only have 350mi on it.

I take the same route to and from work and use it as a gauge. I was getting it to 44.5-45.5 on the scangauge right away and the last 2 days I hit 52.4 and 52.3 when I arrived to work.

What should I expect in the coming months and miles?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I think you can reasonably expect a few percentage points of improvement as your car gets some more miles under its belt (like 4-5,000 miles). So maybe an extra 1-1.5 mpg.

You should see your car's mileage improve over the next 6 weeks, especially if you live in the northern part of the country. The 2 biggest factors that will help your mileage as we get deeper into Spring are...

1) warm outdoor temps
    2) no more winter blended gasoline

Another factor is that as you drive the car and watch your Scangauge, you will learn what driving habits will allow you to extract the most mileage from the car. I'm not talking crazy hyper-miler stuff like engine-off coasting. I'm just talking about reasonable driving modifications.

I have seen an improvement in my mileage just from last week. It's mainly due to the increasing outdoor temperatures. I don't know where you live, but we had temps in the 20s last week and my car struggled to average 48mpg for the last 7 days. Today it's 70+ and the car is easily going to clear 50+ mpg this week with no other changes.

As soon as we have consistently warm temperatures and winter-blended fuel disappears, I expect my car to be back to the low 50's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I think you can reasonably expect a few percentage points of improvement as your car gets some more miles under its belt (like 4-5,000 miles). So maybe an extra 1-1.5 mpg.

You should see your car's mileage improve over the next 6 weeks, especially if you live in the northern part of the country. The 2 biggest factors that will help your mileage as we get deeper into Spring are...

1) warm outdoor temps
    2) no more winter blended gasoline

Another factor is that as you drive the car and watch your Scangauge, you will learn what driving habits will allow you to extract the most mileage from the car. I'm not talking crazy hyper-miler stuff like engine-off coasting. I'm just talking about reasonable driving modifications.

I have seen an improvement in my mileage just from last week. It's mainly due to the increasing outdoor temperatures. I don't know where you live, but we had temps in the 20s last week and my car struggled to average 48mpg for the last 7 days. Today it's 70+ and the car is easily going to clear 50+ mpg this week with no other changes.

As soon as we have consistently warm temperatures and winter-blended fuel disappears, I expect my car to be back to the low 50's.
    This! I was in the low 40s most of the winter, but am in the high 40s now. When it warms up a little more (unseasonably cold around here), I will be in the low 50s again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm in N. WI. So can get pretty cold up here near Green Bay.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I'm in N. WI. So can get pretty cold up here near Green Bay.
    I live in the Upper Peninsula of MI. This was my 3rd winter with my Mirage. You will notice a substantial increase in MPG when the weather warms up. Somewhere around 7-10MPG for me. After a few months with my new car I got maybe 2 more MPG.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fatcat For This Useful Post:

Pryme (03-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I live in the Upper Peninsula of MI. This was my 3rd winter with my Mirage. You will notice a substantial increase in MPG when the weather warms up. Somewhere around 7-10MPG for me. After a few months with my new car I got maybe 2 more MPG.
    Cant wait. So you're a u-per eh haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Cant wait. So you're a u-per eh haha
    Thats right!!!!

We might own the only Mirage in the UP. I have seen a few in the summer months, always from WI or IL though...haha