Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaky radiator mount?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Shaky radiator mount?

Any one ever experience their radiator to be kinda lose wobbly?

Cars:
    15' Mitsubishi Mirage DE CVT
    17' Toyota Corolla LE

Instagram: Slow_As_F*ck <- Change the "*" to a "U" and you'll find me!

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The radiator is set in place with bushings because if it was mounted rigid, it would break. There should be some looseness, but if it's literally rattling around then there might be a problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

FreeYourSOUL (03-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    The radiator is set in place with bushings because if it was mounted rigid, it would break. There should be some looseness, but if it's literally rattling around then there might be a problem.
    2nd what Johnny M said ^^^^. Even years ago, some were mounted in bushings allowing a little movement.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Actually just noticed on Friday. I'm chasing a rattle/vibration in my '17 Mirage and found the wobbly rad. This thing moves a lot. It seems to be attached at the bottom while the top is left to bounce around behind the hood latch. It moves freely forward and back over a centimeter with no restraint aside from tension of bottom mount. I can kick it forward with my finger and hear it bouncing off back of latch assembly.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    ...It seems to be attached at the bottom while the top is left to bounce around behind the hood latch. It moves freely forward and back over a centimeter with no restraint aside from tension of bottom mount. I can kick it forward with my finger and hear it bouncing off back of latch assembly.
    My 2015 is the same way. I can move the top of the radiator back and forth (towards the engine and back towards the front bumper) about half an inch. This is completely by design and I don't see any issue with it. The top of the radiator is well-secured inside a rubber isolator (see image below). That isolator allows the radiator to move back and forth a slight amount. I can't imagine a situation where anyone would feel a vibration in the car because of this.

Here's the top radiator mount that's below the hood latch...

Name:  rad1.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  91.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

FreeYourSOUL (03-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually glad this is something that is not a problem for the car, I was quite nervous about this and was planning on taking it in tomorrow morning.
    Cars:
    15' Mitsubishi Mirage DE CVT
    17' Toyota Corolla LE

Instagram: Slow_As_F*ck <- Change the "*" to a "U" and you'll find me!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    My 2015 is the same way. I can move the top of the radiator back and forth (towards the engine and back towards the front bumper) about half an inch. This is completely by design and I don't see any issue with it. The top of the radiator is well-secured inside a rubber isolator (see image below). That isolator allows the radiator to move back and forth a slight amount. I can't imagine a situation where anyone would feel a vibration in the car because of this.

Here's the top radiator mount that's below the hood latch...

Name:  rad1.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  91.0 KB
    I see the mount but do not see how the rad could move back n forth 1/2 an inch and still be in contact with it.
    Looks more like a rubber grommet that allows shake/vibration not lateral movement.
    Either way it's not the source if my issue.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Agree with all of the above. Plastic radiators are set in rubber grommets to isolate them from body flex and engine/road vibrations...both of which would eventually cause them to crack and fail. Sometimes the tolerances between the grommets and the radiator support pins can be quite substantial.

This arrangement has been around for as long as there have been plastic radiators. Nothing to worry about. Check to make sure all of the grommets are present and in good condition.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...Looks more like a rubber grommet that allows shake/vibration...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ...the tolerances between the grommets and the radiator support pins can be quite substantial.
    Yeah...that top grommet is definitely allowing for the movement. When you move the top of the radiator, the pin inside that grommet has a fair amount of wiggle room.

I'm still blown away by how small this radiator is...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually just noticed on Friday. I'm chasing a rattle/vibration in my '17 Mirage and found the wobbly rad. This thing moves a lot. It seems to be attached at the bottom while the top is left to bounce around behind the hood latch. It moves freely forward and back over a centimeter with no restraint aside from tension of bottom mount. I can kick it forward with my finger and hear it bouncing off back of latch assembly.
    I just checked my '17 and the radiator is pretty stiff in its mount. I can move the top maybe 2 or 3 mm front and back. There's no way it can come in contact with the hood latch.