Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Mini Cooper wheel swap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    Just a mini update on the wheels - so far so good.
    Did you get any snow today? I wonder how your snow tires are working. We got a fresh blanket overnight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yessir. It's coming down pretty good here. April snows are the worst. The Mirage and Mini wheels got me to work in one piece but it was a slippery ride in some spots. The plows haven't hit the back roads yet so that was a fun trip.

I think the Mini wheels were a *little* better at taking off from snowy stops but overall road stability seems about the same as the Enasaves. It's a lot of grainy powder and slush. I could tell the 15"s didn't "cut" into the snow as well as the 14"s did. But with only one sloppy snow storm it's tough to judge...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fog light surrounds done. Besides a few goofs I think it did alright. One of these days I'll get some fog lights in there
    Attachment 8971
    I grabbed this from the plasti-dip thread.

Those Mini rims look good. How are they holding up for you? Any plans on swapping out the snows? I'll bet you can sell the snows and cover the entire cost of the set.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The rims themselves, so far they are perfect. I totally love the look. I am still running on the 15" snow tires that came with them for now.

The 14" factory steels with the Enasaves are in my garage. They are at least 50% or better tread.

My original thoughts, to stay cheap, were to just run the 15" Mini winter tires all warm season despite the small ding to my the mileage, then swap out to the 14" steels and finish off the Enasaves this coming winter.

I'm keeping my eyes open for more cheap 15" summer tires to swap on there, then maybe sell the 14" steels with the Enasaves and their remaining tread instead of just using them up. Not 100% sure what the plan is just yet, too many options hahah

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wife said I should sell the 14" Enasaves on the steel rims and stick with the 15" wheels. I guess that makes sense. I'll clean up the steels and try to get a pic of the tread depth and post them. Eggman are you looking for some extras?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman are you looking for some extras?
    Yes, always. I've had an eye toward the various Mini wheels. You got there first!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for this thread. I ended up picking up the same set for the same money. Just working on getting some tires. Anyone interested in my Enkei RP01s with a set of Enasaves and new front set of winter tires?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The rims themselves, so far they are perfect. I totally love the look. I am still running on the 15" snow tires that came with them for now.

The 14" factory steels with the Enasaves are in my garage. They are at least 50% or better tread.

My original thoughts, to stay cheap, were to just run the 15" Mini winter tires all warm season despite the small ding to my the mileage, then swap out to the 14" steels and finish off the Enasaves this coming winter.

I'm keeping my eyes open for more cheap 15" summer tires to swap on there, then maybe sell the 14" steels with the Enasaves and their remaining tread instead of just using them up. Not 100% sure what the plan is just yet, too many options hahah
    Hey ISP_guy we're approaching a year since you picked up these whels. Let's have an update on how they have worked for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I ended up picking up the same set for the same money. Just working on getting some tires. Anyone interested in my Enkei RP01s with a set of Enasaves and new front set of winter tires?
    Those Enkeis look great. I'm sure you'll find someone nearby to take them off your hands, as it seems there's a few forum members in Portlandia.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey ISP_guy we're approaching a year since you picked up these whels. Let's have an update on how they have worked for you.
    The Mini wheels themselves have worked 100% perfect. I rode them with the winter tires all last summer and fall. As expected the tread was too low to continue to use them this winter. I believe my mpg average was 36-40 and the soft winter tires were mostly to blame for that.

I picked up another set of local 14" steels with brand new winter tires on them for $250. The previous owner had just purchased them for a Saturn car of his, which then died. These ones have done EXCELLENT in the snow.

Once Spring moves in I'll take off the Saturn 14" winters, store them and swap between the Mini winters and my original Enasaves to finish both of those off. Then swap the Saturn 14" winters on to get through next Winter.

So NEXT year I might be looking at hunting for some new tires to mount on the Mini wheels. If things go well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-23-2018)