Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2013 Mini Cooper wheel swap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got my Cooper rims installed yesterday. Found some 56mm Mitsubishi center cap overlays that match up perfectly.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183025425113

I love how they look. Currently there's 175/65-15 mounted, but I have a new set of 175/55-15 Federal Formoza AZ01 being delivered tomorrow that I'll mount up. I'll update with my perceptions of them and if any mpg change. I'm very happy with my purchase!

(blank signature)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-05-2018),ISP_guy (02-05-2018),Top_Fuel (02-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

cloning tpms

Has anyone cloned their existing tpms and had them work with a second set of wheels?

One of the auto parts stores in my hometown does cloning. In most cases, it's to replace a tpms that has gone bad. Cloning always you to replace the sensor without having to reprogram your vehicle. When I inquired about this, the auto parts store couldn't do a Mirage with their brand of cloning sensors.

I don't understand why cloning isn't more popular. I have a set of snow tires for my Subaru Forester. I paid to have sensors installed. I should have saved my money (approximately $160). I never take the time nor have the time to have the car reprogrammed to the second set of tires. I just use them with the dash light on. Defeats the purpose of having them.

Having a set of tires with cloned sensors would be so much better/easier, & I would like to do that with my 2017 Mirage ES (manual). I am presently running snow tires/steel rims (Nokian Nordman 7) on the front of my Mirage. These tires got a good test yesterday in some pretty deep unplowed snow. They did great climbing the hills in my area! If I could clone a set, I would add tpms sensors. Since my car was so new (still under 5000 miles), the factory Dunlops on the back are fine. By next winter, I will most likely have a complete set of 4 snow tires.

Anyone have a positive experience cloning tpms Mirage sensors? If so, what brand/company worked well for you?

Thanks!

Mark

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Has anyone cloned their existing tpms and had them work with a second set of wheels?
    I don't understand why cloning isn't more popular.
    You're right...if you want to run 2 sets of wheels on a Mirage without having to reprogram your TPMS, the easiest/best approach is to install a cloned set of TPMS sensors in the extra wheels.

I'm not aware of anyone doing this yet.

There was one guy (I can't find the thread at the moment) who mentioned that he had a new set of wheels/tires (with new sensors) installed, and never had his TPMS system reprogrammed...and his TPMS light never came on with the new wheels. The only way that would be possible is if he had his original sensors cloned. I asked the guy a follow-up question about this, but he never responded.

I plan on having my original sensors cloned the first time I need new tires...which probably won't be for another 2-3 years. I assume someone makes a Mirage sensor that can be cloned...but I haven't tried it yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its too bad there isn't a known better way of cloning the sensors. I imagine that eventually someone will come up with something though.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)