A couple days ago a saw some pictures from probably 2017 or 2018, my sons and I flew to Las Vegas, and then toured around. One of the places we went was Death Valley.

I had already been interested in Mirages so I found a G4 on Turo and rented it for the duration, CVT of course (since it was a rental). We landed at the airport, then I went and got the G4 (near the airport) and came back to the airport to pickup my sons. And they laughed and laughed and laughed.

When they finally stopped laughing, I started driving away, and they began laughing again. Anywho, the point of this story is that, at one time we wound up in Death Valley. I think it was July. The temp at the whatever headquarters in the park was 134°F.

The Mirage was able to stay cool enough to prevent too much complaint. That's to say, it wasn't cool in the car, but cooler. Most cars would have had trouble.

However, I distinctly remember giving the car hell everywhere, except while in Death Valley. Last thing I wanted it to do was breakdown and us have to swelter for a long time waiting on someone to come along. However, as I was driving along Scotty's Castle Road on our way out to Ubehebe Crater, the car started giving off this weird smell. It was coming from the A/C system. Remember, I was taking it easy on the car. It smelled like something electrical burning. It started off barely noticeable and slowly got worse. I finally had to just shut off the A/C and we rode with the windows down. We were all having fun, nobody complained. The boys just sort of laughed at the car and made fun of it. We had a good time.

Eventually I turned the A/C back on once we left the park and it started working again without the smell. But for the longest time I wondered what that smell was.

Has anyone experienced this in their own car?