Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Service Costs for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I will be honest. There is zero chance I am paying $50 for an oil change I can get for $22 at a local Jiffy Lube, 3 times a year. Or, on my own for about $8. I will win in the case of the motor dieing with the manufacture, I do not think they can use getting oil changes at different locations against you legally. I would keep all records.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The real reason the law was passed was to prevent manufacturers from welching out on the warranty for an engine or transmission because a consumer replaced the RADIO in the car, or forcing a consumer to pay for overpriced dealership maintenance in order to keep a warranty in force. These sorts of shenanigans were commonplace in the 1960s.
    Right. Radio, wipers, plugs, oil etc. It breaks the ability for them to charge $75/plug wire and bind you into buying them to keep your $3500 warrantee, as well

Djkenny, if long term costs are a big concern of yours I think one quick eBay search, "mirage +2015" and refine too used.. you'll quickly see engines + transmissions can be had complete for well less than $500 and wrecked complete cars for $1500. I'm pretty confident that even a learner mechanics can compete large repairs on the mirage. It's quite basic. (Mechanically)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-09-2017),Cobrajet (04-09-2017),Eggman (04-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I will be honest. There is zero chance I am paying $50 for an oil change I can get for $22 at a local Jiffy Lube, 3 times a year. Or, on my own for about $8. I will win in the case of the motor dieing with the manufacture, I do not think they can use getting oil changes at different locations against you legally. I would keep all records.
    Exactly. Keep all your records and you'll be fine. Paying $50 for an oil change is ridiculous. I worked at Jiffy Lube 15 years ago and wouldn't recommend just because I know what we were instructed to do when we were rushed, but maybe they changed their ways. I do all fluids and repairs myself when needed. I heard Oil Can Henry's in the area are pretty good.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also, if they require you to use their product too maintain warranty ( such as CVT transmission fluid ) they have to supply it free of charge

6. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (04-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol 50 dollars to change the 3 qts of oil? No thanks.

For 50.00 I can buy 10 qts of Mobil one synthetic and get 3 oil changes out of that. Filters a not expensive either.
    Job takes 10-15min.

I get free oil changes for 2 years on my Truck but after that last one I'm doing those myself too even though it takes 8 qts and uses an internal filter and I have to drop the metal skid plate. Not looking forward to that but I'm not paying Toyota 90.00 to do it haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see what you are saying. But just to be clear, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that you do not have to have your services performed at the dealership in order to have your warranty honored under the law. You simply have to provide reasonable evidence that the maintenance was done. Whether that is receipts from Jiffy Lube, receipts from Auto Zone, receipts from the dealership, etc, doesn't matter.

But at 100,001 miles, it's completely up to the dealership and manufacturer as to whether or not to honor the (now expired) warranty. Legally, they are not on the hook anymore. Period. Normally, it's a matter of the dealer/manufacturer's 'goodwill' in situations like this, and having a stack of dealership service records may well sway them towards taking care of you.

But at 99,999 miles they have to fix it as long as you have service records.
    Correct.
    3 oil changes a year aren't going to break my bank. Plus it keeps me in the door at the dealer should a problem arise.
    I will change any wear and tear items myself like brakes.
    Good will applies only at good dealerships.
    Plus I like my dealer. Good people.
    How many dealers do you go into that the owner, his son, or his wife greet you with a handshake and conversation while waiting on service?
    Not many correct?
    Mine does. That goes a long way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought a 96 Chrysler minivan brand new, and purchased a 100,000 mi extended warranty through the dealer. One of the best investments I ever made. Brake problems, ac compressor, cruise control, everything except the transmission. (Which they are known for dying ) I had a LOT of stuff covered by it. At 96,000 miles, the bottom end developed a knock. Took it back to the dealership, that had been doing a lot of the repairs. They diagnosed it as crank and main bearings, and recommended a new long block. They called the warranty company, and were told not to do anything, until they sent an inspector out there to look at it. A couple days later, they called me back and said they weren't covering anything else, unless I could provide receipts for oil and filter changes, back to new. They were certain we wouldn't be able to provide them. WRONG.... I said give me a day or two, no problem. Pulled my file, and had every auto parts receipt for oil filters, and oil whenever I did them myself, plus printouts of work orders from the dealer. Documented everything, and sent it off to them. After about a week, the dealer called and said it had been approved. New long block, labor, everything. I think they might have made me pay for the new oil and filter, and antifreeze. Needless to say, they lost their azz on that warranty. I sold it shortly afterwards, before something else broke. "Sticking it to the man."
    Last edited by Car Nut; 04-09-2017 at 01:44 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-09-2017),Cobrajet (04-09-2017),MightyMirageMpg (04-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Exactly. Keep all your records and you'll be fine. Paying $50 for an oil change is ridiculous. I worked at Jiffy Lube 15 years ago and wouldn't recommend just because I know what we were instructed to do when we were rushed, but maybe they changed their ways. I do all fluids and repairs myself when needed. I heard Oil Can Henry's in the area are pretty good.
    Hell, $50 for an oil change would be cheap at my dealership. When I first bought the car I had it in for a complimentary oil change from Mitsubishi. I asked the service manager how much this oil change normally cost.

"It's $90. Your car requires synthetic oil."

Plus, they wanted to keep the car all day! I literally laughed at the guy!

For $32 I can put Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE in it, plus a Fram UltraGuard, and do it in about 20 minutes. Just keep those receipts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    Also, if they require you to use their product too maintain warranty ( such as CVT transmission fluid ) they have to supply it free of charge
    Show me where it says this.

Hell, $50 for an oil change would be cheap at my dealership. When I first bought the car I had it in for a complimentary oil change from Mitsubishi. I asked the service manager how much this oil change normally cost.

"It's $90. Your car requires synthetic oil."

Plus, they wanted to keep the car all day! I literally laughed at the guy!

For $32 I can put Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE in it, plus a Fram UltraGuard, and do it in about 20 minutes. Just keep those receipts.
    Lol... That's terrible in all regards. Nope, I'll keep saving money and records and do it myself.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Show me where it says this.
    https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...l-warranty-law
    "Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. That’s a provision that requires a consumer to buy an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here is an example of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or service if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-09-2017),MightyMirageMpg (04-09-2017)