Thread: Service Costs for a Mirage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Service Costs for a Mirage?

Curious at various intervals what service costs have been? Dealer Vs. Non Dealer, as well. Some services you do on your own?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $50 for oil change and 155 for cvt service. Paid to dealer.
    Letting dealer do basic services. Will change brakes on my own as it's a wear and tear item.
    One thing I learned from the wrecker business.
    If 2 guys come in with broken cars. Both are at 100001 miles.
    Owner A has serviced car meticulously at same dealer where they purchased.
    Owner B is a DIY/ Jiffy lube customer. Refuses to spend at dealership.
    Both have a blown motor.
    Most likely the dealer/ manufacturer is going to replaces owner A motor either for no cost or a partial deductible. Or dealer will go to bat against manufacturer and may even eat part of the cost.
    Owner B?
    Too bad so sad that'll be $3000.
    I have a reputable one franchise owner.
    His reputation is everything unlike the mega dealer with 20 different brands.
    My business and my opinion of his business mean far more to the small guy.
    I could lay in the yard and diy it.
    But for fluids? Let the dealer have it.
    Unless you got a bad dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonJellyBean View Post
    $50 for oil change and 155 for cvt service. Paid to dealer.
    Letting dealer do basic services. Will change brakes on my own as it's a wear and tear item.
    One thing I learned from the wrecker business.
    If 2 guys come in with broken cars. Both are at 100001 miles.
    Owner A has serviced car meticulously at same dealer where they purchased.
    Owner B is a DIY/ Jiffy lube customer. Refuses to spend at dealership.
    Both have a blown motor.
    Most likely the dealer/ manufacturer is going to replaces owner A motor either for no cost or a partial deductible. Or dealer will go to bat against manufacturer and may even eat part of the cost.
    Owner B?
    Too bad so sad that'll be $3000.
    I have a reputable one franchise owner.
    His reputation is everything unlike the mega dealer with 20 different brands.
    My business and my opinion of his business mean far more to the small guy.
    I could lay in the yard and diy it.
    But for fluids? Let the dealer have it.
    Unless you got a bad dealer.
    I see what you are saying. But just to be clear, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that you do not have to have your services performed at the dealership in order to have your warranty honored under the law. You simply have to provide reasonable evidence that the maintenance was done. Whether that is receipts from Jiffy Lube, receipts from Auto Zone, receipts from the dealership, etc, doesn't matter.

But at 100,001 miles, it's completely up to the dealership and manufacturer as to whether or not to honor the (now expired) warranty. Legally, they are not on the hook anymore. Period. Normally, it's a matter of the dealer/manufacturer's 'goodwill' in situations like this, and having a stack of dealership service records may well sway them towards taking care of you.

But at 99,999 miles they have to fix it as long as you have service records.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
    This also serves as a pretty good document too hide behind modification wise. They (dealerships) can not dismiss a claim based off of modifications or repairs done external too them unless they can prove it was the cause of the failure. (Still, abuse can be claimed and denied) so if your a US resident its a pretty good thing too research.

Per a manager at a local Dodge dealership,
    "The real purpose of the it was too allow maintenance items too handled 3rd party without voiding the warrantee, but it was poorly written and now heavily leaned on by enthusiasts."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Per a manager at a local Dodge dealership,
    "The real purpose of the it was too allow maintenance items too handled 3rd party without voiding the warrantee, but it was poorly written and now heavily leaned on by enthusiasts."
    The real reason the law was passed was to prevent manufacturers from welching out on the warranty for an engine or transmission because a consumer replaced the RADIO in the car, or forcing a consumer to pay for overpriced dealership maintenance in order to keep a warranty in force. These sorts of shenanigans were commonplace in the 1960s.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The real reason the law was passed was to prevent manufacturers from welching out on the warranty for an engine or transmission because a consumer replaced the RADIO in the car, or forcing a consumer to pay for overpriced dealership maintenance in order to keep a warranty in force. These sorts of shenanigans were commonplace in the 1960s.
    Right. Radio, wipers, plugs, oil etc. It breaks the ability for them to charge $75/plug wire and bind you into buying them to keep your $3500 warrantee, as well

Djkenny, if long term costs are a big concern of yours I think one quick eBay search, "mirage +2015" and refine too used.. you'll quickly see engines + transmissions can be had complete for well less than $500 and wrecked complete cars for $1500. I'm pretty confident that even a learner mechanics can compete large repairs on the mirage. It's quite basic. (Mechanically)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-09-2017),Cobrajet (04-09-2017),Eggman (04-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see what you are saying. But just to be clear, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that you do not have to have your services performed at the dealership in order to have your warranty honored under the law. You simply have to provide reasonable evidence that the maintenance was done. Whether that is receipts from Jiffy Lube, receipts from Auto Zone, receipts from the dealership, etc, doesn't matter.

But at 100,001 miles, it's completely up to the dealership and manufacturer as to whether or not to honor the (now expired) warranty. Legally, they are not on the hook anymore. Period. Normally, it's a matter of the dealer/manufacturer's 'goodwill' in situations like this, and having a stack of dealership service records may well sway them towards taking care of you.

But at 99,999 miles they have to fix it as long as you have service records.
    Correct.
    3 oil changes a year aren't going to break my bank. Plus it keeps me in the door at the dealer should a problem arise.
    I will change any wear and tear items myself like brakes.
    Good will applies only at good dealerships.
    Plus I like my dealer. Good people.
    How many dealers do you go into that the owner, his son, or his wife greet you with a handshake and conversation while waiting on service?
    Not many correct?
    Mine does. That goes a long way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I will be honest. There is zero chance I am paying $50 for an oil change I can get for $22 at a local Jiffy Lube, 3 times a year. Or, on my own for about $8. I will win in the case of the motor dieing with the manufacture, I do not think they can use getting oil changes at different locations against you legally. I would keep all records.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I will be honest. There is zero chance I am paying $50 for an oil change I can get for $22 at a local Jiffy Lube, 3 times a year. Or, on my own for about $8. I will win in the case of the motor dieing with the manufacture, I do not think they can use getting oil changes at different locations against you legally. I would keep all records.
    Exactly. Keep all your records and you'll be fine. Paying $50 for an oil change is ridiculous. I worked at Jiffy Lube 15 years ago and wouldn't recommend just because I know what we were instructed to do when we were rushed, but maybe they changed their ways. I do all fluids and repairs myself when needed. I heard Oil Can Henry's in the area are pretty good.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Exactly. Keep all your records and you'll be fine. Paying $50 for an oil change is ridiculous. I worked at Jiffy Lube 15 years ago and wouldn't recommend just because I know what we were instructed to do when we were rushed, but maybe they changed their ways. I do all fluids and repairs myself when needed. I heard Oil Can Henry's in the area are pretty good.
    Hell, $50 for an oil change would be cheap at my dealership. When I first bought the car I had it in for a complimentary oil change from Mitsubishi. I asked the service manager how much this oil change normally cost.

"It's $90. Your car requires synthetic oil."

Plus, they wanted to keep the car all day! I literally laughed at the guy!

For $32 I can put Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE in it, plus a Fram UltraGuard, and do it in about 20 minutes. Just keep those receipts.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-09-2017)