Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket fog light/housing options?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    What's a "cob chip"?
    Chip on board. I can tell by the foglight he posted, that it's a COB led. There are many different types of LEDs, such as COB or SMD, and different applications where they are more appropriate. Right now, almost all LED aftermarket fog assemblies are just look without a lot of function. There are some nice units well above $100 that might worth it though.

I was just stating you cannot just put a COB in a housing with a projector and think it's great.

(blank signature)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (04-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Chip on board. I can tell by the foglight he posted, that it's a COB led. There are many different types of LEDs, such as COB or SMD, and different applications where they are more appropriate. Right now, almost all LED aftermarket fog assemblies are just look without a lot of function. There are some nice units well above $100 that might worth it though.

I was just stating you cannot just put a COB in a housing with a projector and think it's great.
    I see

$100 fog lights! They better be great! Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like the factory fog light housings are $60-70 on Ebay. And the LED's Alex1a1f posted are $32. So ~$100 is a spot-on price. I think I will wait and save up for that instead of taking a gamble with a cheap setup.

Right now, almost all LED aftermarket fog assemblies are just look without a lot of function.
    That's what I want to avoid - looks can be fun but in this case I'd prefer functionality and usefulness over something with an "angel eye" or "halo" or some kind of DRL...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I'd look around for a wrecked Mirage that has OEM fogs. You already have the switch on the turn signal stalk, and the wiring should already be there. It would be plug-and-play with a trip to the stealership to activate the fog light function in the ETACS.

My ES has them (it's one of the reasons I bought an ES), and they are great here in the foggy, rainy Seattle area.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yeah i got the generic ones from ebay and got no problem ever since i installed it...power for halo lights was wiretap from the park lights and the power for fog lights was wiretap from low beam so it turns on everytime i use my low beam and turns off when i switch to high beam...i did use a relay for my fog lights...mounting it is a different story...you have to be creative with it...sealant also helps a lot to stabilize it...i am just making my life easier by not drilling holes to the firewall for a separate rocker switch for the foglights and attaching a foglight cover to hide my dirty work with the sealant...im thinking of 3d printing some L-shape bracket with adjustable holes and a crossbar for the L-shape with adjustable holes to fit the mount that comes with it in the future to clean up my work and easier installation
    Last edited by flip096; 04-12-2017 at 03:50 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to flip096 For This Useful Post:

ISP_guy (04-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did something similar with my fog lights... except instead of 3D printing brackets we used some type of hard plastic and cut/sanded it to fit. One of these days I'll update my garage with the details, but in the end it turned out pretty well. I didn't use any sealant though, I just left it open around the edges of the light. You can't tell though because it's all dark behind it anyways.

I also would have to agree with the things said above, I bought the halo/projector ones and I don't think I'll be able to use the projector part in traffic because there's no cutoff on them. This is fine for me but if you really want the function of the fog lights just go OEM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

ISP_guy (04-21-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does no one else have a problem with the stock foglights busting? My driver's side lens went after having the car for a few months, and my passenger went after about a year. I do ALL highway driving, fwiw. I'm looking to find a more suitable lens material to replace the shattered glass stockers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There have been a few other members posting that their stock fog lights were broken by rocks/debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Does no one else have a problem with the stock foglights busting? My driver's side lens went after having the car for a few months, and my passenger went after about a year. I do ALL highway driving, fwiw. I'm looking to find a more suitable lens material to replace the shattered glass stockers.
    None of our cars have fog lights but the knock out where the lights would go are getting nailed pretty bad and a few cars just have empty holes now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm thinking maybe I'll just get some Lexan and replace my glass (shards). They sell small-ish sheets at Home Depot for not too bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)