Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket fog light/housing options?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Aftermarket fog light/housing options?

Howdy! I would like to find a reasonable option to install some aftermarket, projector or LED(?) fog lights on my DE.

I don't need anything too fancy or shiny but would like to have the extra light output. We get quite a bit of fog, snow and nature's furry beasts over this way.

Forum member flip069 had installed "2.5 cob fog lights with halo" but not much other detail given.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...(Garage-entry)

I'm waiting for a response from him hopefully with more info. Ebay shows a few hits but I'd hate to make the wrong gamble.

Has anyone installed aftermarket fog light housings on their Mirage? I wouldn't mind running the wiring myself and installing a toggle switch in the cab but I'm not really sure what can fit the car...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Do you have the stalk with the fog light twisty already? If so, activate fog lights in ETACS and you can have the button integrated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    Do you have the stalk with the fog light twisty already? If so, activate fog lights in ETACS and you can have the button integrated.
    Yes. I noticed the fog light toggle on my stalk so that saves a step! I'm debating on getting factory fog lights, or trying to find something cheaper and aftermarket like this, if they would fit... https://www.amazon.com/Light-Projector-White-Angel-Driving/dp/B01GDZY1PK

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I measured the fog light "cap" cover thing that is on my DE and the opening appears to be close to 3". So it sounds like a 2.5" fog light would fit fine.

The problem I see is the bracket/mount - the factory ones look like this:

Name:  fog 1.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  15.9 KB

Most generic 2.5" LED Cob fogs look like this:

Name:  fog 2.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  42.8 KB

I haven't pulled apart the fog light area of the car but I think I will look at it this weekend and see if the generic fogs will mount to the car in some way, with those generic brackets, or if I will have to fan-dangle something...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You do realize that almost no aftermarket LED fog light housing will even be close to the lumens of the stock fogs, right? Buying stock housings and replacing the bulbs with high power LEDs is a different story though. Those ones you have posted will make no difference in your fog safety. Junk.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't have any fogs in my DE at all right now, so I guess anything is an improvement over that

Agreed though, LED fogs would be a bad idea due to the typical LED light flooding. The ones I was looking at appear to be projector. I *think* projectors have a more focused beam on them don't they? I haven't owned a car with anything besides halogen lighting before, but I did inspect an in-law's Infinity and the projector head lights/fog lights were rather nice...

Buying stock housings and replacing the bulbs with high power LEDs is a different story though.
    I thought about buying those stock housings and swapping the bulbs with a set of LED's - think that is the best route then?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Projectors are the way to go, but you can't just put a COB chip in and a projector glass front and think they're great. The light output is still sub-par at best.

I recommend going with factory housings and adding LED to them. I recommend these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/262325354149.
    I have had them a year and the output is crazy bright. Ill try to get some pics up.
    (blank signature)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

ISP_guy (04-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Learning as I go - thank you for the info!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just don't cheap out, you'll be happier in the long run.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's a "cob chip"?