Thread: Redemption (Mirage named best all around "performance" car -- TTAC freaks out)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Redemption (Mirage named best all around "performance" car -- TTAC freaks out)

Looked around real quick, didn't see this posted.

The ‘Best All-Around Performance’ Car Available is the Mitsubishi Mirage, Apparently

If you’ve ever been inside a Mitsubishi Mirage, you know its only slightly preferable to being hogtied and drug behind a much nicer car. Its engine is beyond anemic at highway speeds, there is an uncomfortable level of road noise, and it’s about as luxurious as a shoebox. The Mirage is the rental you receive when the “special value” option seems too good to be true — because it is.

Prepare yourself for a brain aneurysm as you read the following sentence: The Mitsubishi Mirage is, according to the Automotive Science Group, the best performance vehicle money can buy. That, and Mitsubishi is honored as the “Best All-Around Performance Brand.”
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ge-apparently/

Last edited by ioriknight; 06-18-2017 at 06:41 PM. Reason: (added quote from TTAC)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ioriknight For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (04-07-2017),Alex1a1f (04-05-2017),Cobrajet (04-05-2017),Eggman (04-05-2017),Iggypooper (04-05-2017),Johnny Mullet (04-05-2017),Marklovski (04-05-2017),MetroMPG (04-07-2017),mitsumi (04-08-2017),Spadesheart (04-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    HAHAHA. And it's not April Fool's Day.

TTAC sounds like they are choking on their words.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice!! Haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It performs well where it matters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by spork View Post
    It performs well where it matters.
    That's the truth. But traditional gearheads have only one understanding of the word "performance", and calling the Mirage a "performance car" was bound to get their knickers in a knot. (Probably intentional by the awarding group.)

For those who haven't seen it yet, an organization calling itself the "Automotive Science Group" (ASG) rates cars based on environmental, economic and "social" metrics, with the tag line "Beyond Zero to Sixty" (so you can see what angle they're coming from there).

They named the Mirage the best "performance" car in its class. And Mitsu was the best performance brand overall. That's what this is all about:

Mitsubishi press release: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...-science-group

ASG page showing the different winners in every class: https://www.automotivescience.com/collections/2017-cars

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (04-11-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You know, it always feels good for someone to tell you you made a good decision with how you spent your money when you're always having to try your best to make it stretch as far as possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Pryme (04-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's actually an awesome award for an economy car to get.

I noticed something about my little blue 2015, that started the day I bought it - guys would wrinkle their noses and wonder why I bought it. Women would rave over how cute the little car was.

Guess who's opinion I paid attention to more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    That's actually an awesome award for an economy car to get.

I noticed something about my little blue 2015, that started the day I bought it - guys would wrinkle their noses and wonder why I bought it. Women would rave over how cute the little car was.

Guess who's opinion I paid attention to more.
    Lol...back when I was driving the '97 Metro that the Mirage replaced I'd get wrinkled noses from both men AND women!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How quickly people forget that a zero to sixty time in the 11 second range used to be considered quick. In slightly over a year of driving mine, I've grown used to all the short comings and have enjoyed how inexpensive it is to run. And I am still amazed at how easy it is to maneuver in tight quarters thanks to the tight turning radius. I think I prefer the frugal image of the Mirage to the flashy one of a more expensive car.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    Women would rave over how cute the little car was.
    A young neighbour of my buddy's used to hang around when we were working on cars in his garage. One day he asked what kind of car he should get to catch the ladies' attention: Mustang? Camaro?

I said (half jokingly): get a Smart car, Mini or Beetle. If you want the guys' attention, get the muscle car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-20-2017)