Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage CVT towing.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi Mirage CVT towing.

I will be getting a 2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES with a CVT soon. I'm wondering if it is okay tow a little bit with it.

We have a trailer from Harbor Freight that is about 250 lb. It has some sides on it so it probably knocks it up to around 350 pounds.

All I would be putting in it would be tree branches to take to the dump, or maybe a washing machine or something occasionally.

The maximum weight of the trailer with everything in it probably wouldn't ever exceed 600 lb.

All on city streets and about 5 miles or less.

Do you think it will be fine and not hurt the car if I just accelerate slow around 2500 rpm? And just in general not go over 35-40 MPH?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.1 mpg (US) ... 21.7 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You will certainly be fine. I've driven with 500+ lbs of passengers before without issue. The owners manual states that towing is not allowed in North America so this may violate state law, void your insurance, and void your warranty.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

lock dot 2 (09-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, that is not fun. I live in North America, to be exact, in California.. The US's structed state for car stuff.

Does it say towing is allowed in other places? Or it just says don't tow anywhere?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.1 mpg (US) ... 21.7 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was just looking, it says the towing capacity in the owners manual is 100 KG, or 200 LB without trailer breaks. And it's 200 KG, or 400 LB with trailer breaks. Sense I would be going slow, it should be perfectly fine then.

I looked at California laws, it doesn't say anything about towing a trailer for the most part with a small car. It just said "Don't tow a 6,000 pound trailer with a 4,000 pound vehicle", so it might be perfectly fine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You will be fine. I regularly tow with mine as I pick-up & deliver lawn & garden equipment as part of my business. I think the heaviest thing I've had on my trailer would be garden tractors... Pulls fine with that so you'll be OK with branches & yard waste. (PS.. The people on this site prefer the Curt hitch)

Name:  Pumpkin @ work.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  63.0 KB
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (10-04-2023),Fummins (09-17-2023),inuvik (09-17-2023),lock dot 2 (09-17-2023),OrganicFoxes (09-18-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome! Thank you, you 2! We do have a mower like that too as well that we move sometimes, but it's very rare. Now I know what can be done.

I was confused, as it said the towing capacity is 200 LB, which doesn't seem right.

Also, is that the manual transmission you have?

Probably the best thing to do with a trailer is just go slow, right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This reminds me of what we towed with a lawn mower once.

My dads friend's neighbor died, and their kids said my dads friend could have the shed. So we lifted it up at each corner, a little at a time, and put it on the back of a riding lawn mower with a trailer attached to it, and drove it next door.

And yes, we are red necks. Lol.

Attachment 25870
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  90.1 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  95.1 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lock dot 2 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-17-2023),inuvik (09-17-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lock dot 2 View Post
    Also, is that the manual transmission you have? Probably the best thing to do with a trailer is just go slow, right?
    Mines the CVT & you are right, just go slow & easy, especially until you get used to it. I regularly take mine on the Trans Canada Raceway & if I don't drive 110 kmh or more, I get run over by all the Pick-ups hauling air... Your gas mileage really drops when towing tho...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

lock dot 2 (09-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup! A lot of pickup trucks here in California haul air as well. If not air, they haul children in the back seats, while their parents burry them in groceries, as they don't want to put them in the truck bed, due to they will get wet, and fly/slide wall over.

In the Mirages I drove, I seem to average about ~50-55 US MPG. I speed up around 2,000 RPM. And just don't stop at stop lights if possible. I try to coast far in advance when they are red, so they turn green by the time I am there.

110 KMh is pretty fast! I don't remember the last time I drove over 97 Kmh/60 MPH. I like cruising slow with cruise control. I don't care if 90% of the cars on the road pass me, I am in the slow lane anyway. Though the big semi trucks I would rather not all of them pass. I try to go about their speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you think $18,100 is a decent price for a 2024 Mitsubishi Mirage ES? It's yellow with 0 addons. It's not arrived at the dealer yet, but that is the cheapest I seen in about 2 years around here.

Name:  Screenshot (1419).jpg
Views: 291
Size:  98.8 KB