Thread: Overfilled CVT

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Overfilled CVT

I went to the dealer for a CVT flush & fill, and it looks like they overfilled it. The photo I attached shows the CVT dipstick taken out of the cold engine, and the oil line looks like it's at the top arrow. (Interestingly, I performed the test found on page 23A-121 & 122 of the 2015 Mirage Service Manual, and the oil line on the dipstick is also around the same location near the top arrow, when the engine/cvt is hot)

I was thinking of following this guy's tip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qag71Uu9RRw to pull out the excess oil (slowly) through the dipstick/oil filler tube.

I'm thinking of buying this tubing: https://www.amazon.com/USA-Sealing-F.../dp/B0853CHTRF , cutting it down to about 13 inches, and attach it to the sprayer head from this spray bottle: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...ttle/318116551 with some duct tape.

What do you guys think? How much CVT oil do I need to remove? I'm assuming that I'll have to remove the oil while the engine & cvt is cool, Thanks in advance.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 10-15-2023 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Changed tubing

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think you may be better off with something like this...
    https://www.harborfreight.com/lubric...luid+extractor
    The line your looking at is for aerating aquariums & may collapse / flatten out when used under a vacuum... Just thoughts...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I think you may be better off with something like this...
    https://www.harborfreight.com/lubric...luid+extractor
    The line your looking at is for aerating aquariums & may collapse / flatten out when used under a vacuum... Just thoughts...
    Thanks for the suggestion, klroger, I had thought of that before but decided against it because I was worried that the separate pieces could possibly get disconnected while down in the tube.

I decided against using the aquarium tube I originally posted per your suggestion, and I'm leaning towards this silicone tube instead: https://www.amazon.com/USA-Sealing-F.../dp/B0853CHTRF and it should stand up to higher temperatures too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Unless it is logistically prohibitive, I think I'd ride back to the dealer and let them "deal" with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-16-2023)

I'm curious as to whether they did a "flush" or just a drain and refill. Doing a fluid flush is more involved since there isn't an external transmission fluid cooler or lines...

I'm also wondering what fluid the Dealer used. Oem and Mitsu brand fluid is clear with a greenish tinge I thought. The universal stuff I use is gold.
    Assuming they just did a dump and fill, how much fluid did they pour into it?

I don't know if this has been asked/mentioned, but you are checking the fluid level when the engine is running, right?

If the dealer did overfill it, I'd be hesitant to take my car back there because if they couldn't do it right the first time...If you drain the fluid with the car level you should get 2.5L out of it. Then pour 2.5L back in. There, fluid is at the correct level. Hard to mess that up.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Running ... not just warm. That's a good point. My Scamp like to puke ATF fluid a lot, so I get to check it, hot and running, and burn the heck out of my fingers frequently. The dipstick is maybe 3 inches from a header ... yowsa!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know if this has been asked/mentioned, but you are checking the fluid level when the engine is running, right?
    I checked the fluid right after turning off the engine.

But, when the engine is cold, the oil line is still well above the top H line.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    I checked the fluid right after turning off the engine.

But, when the engine is cold, the oil line is still well above the top H line.
    Well, there's probably not a problem then. You're supposed to check it with the engine running, and there's this chart. So unless you have a way to monitor cvt fluid temps I wouldn't dink with it other than drive it around for 30-40 mins, then check fluid level and see where it's at. With the Engine Running. These are a pita to check the proper level. Should do what dodge does and not include a dipstick, or Nissan puts a child lock on theirs.

Last edited by Fummins; 10-17-2023 at 09:31 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

cookiemonster (10-20-2023),craigq (10-20-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Well, there's probably not a problem then. You're supposed to check it with the engine running, and there's this chart.
    Thanks Fummins, I checked it with the engine running & hot, right after shifting it into every gear, and the oil level was right in the middle of the Hot zone, so I'm thinking I'm good to go!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-21-2023),inuvik (10-20-2023),mohammad (10-21-2023)