Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire pressure sensor and puncture kit..

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks

Tire pressure sensor and puncture kit..

Does the kit damages the pressure sensor. Are the sensors expensive?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaminado View Post
    Does the kit damages the pressure sensor. Are the sensors expensive?
    According to Slime, their product is 'Tire Sensor Safe' and 'TPMS Compatible.'

'TPMS COMPATIBILITY
    In order for a tire sealant to be accepted by leading sensor manufacturers, it must pass three product tests. After each test, the sensor is reinstalled on the vehicle and checked for proper functionality. A sensor must be functional after all three tests in order for the sealant to be endorsed by TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) manufacturers.'

Price. I've seen them go for used $15 to over $100 for new.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    If I recall correctly, the UK Mirage is sold with no spare tire but instead gets a repair kit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My last new car only came with an air compressor and an integrated can of tire sealant. A spare tire and jack was a $100 option. I picked up a new spare and jack on eBay for about $75 right after I bought the car.

There's nothing wrong with most tire sealants, but they make a mess of the inside of your tire and wheel. Personally I would use them as a last resort if I couldn't get anyone to come and get me so I could pump up the tire with air and have it patched properly.

Here's an interesting video about a popular "TPMS-safe" tire sealant...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-07-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Tire change places hate that gunk. Some of it rots out aluminum wheels. It stinks to hell and gets on everything. Many of them charge extra for working on tires with it, a few refuse it entirely.

Buy a tire puncture kit with the tools you stab in the hole and insert a sticky cord with instead. Those work for a long time (generally the life of the tire), and tire shops won't give you any hassle at all if you decide to get a proper patch done later (they'll refuse if you filled the tire with goo). If they do let loose your tire will just slowly deflate over a few hundred feet, no spectacular blowouts.

BTW, the kit from Harbor Freight is absolute crap and won't even do one tire because the handles break off before you get the cord in. I didn't believe the reviews and tried myself. $3 in the toilet. Buy a sturdy looking kit. Will cost at least $10. Installation is brain dead simple. Carry a pair of side cutters with the tools to make the job a lot easier. You'll want a cheap tire inflator pump, too. Pull the nail out with the side cutters. Use the reamer to make the hole rounder (one or two pushes is plenty). Load a cord in the needle tool just like thread until you're at the halfway point. Then shove it HARD. HARDER. Once it is to the point only a 1/2 inch of cord is showing, pull the tool out and snip the cord with the sidecutters near the tread.

If you find it too difficult, you can lube the cord with rubber cement. Might want to carry that too.

Your repair will hold for a long time. Enjoy.

The tire change industry calls the goo in a can "F--k a Flat" for a reason...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    The cars are sold without spare tire, only with a repair kit. They ask a lot for a emergency spare wheel.

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Is it possible to use a 15 inch (Kia rio steel) with 185 tire rim as a spare wheel...putting a 175 tire? ...i think not because its probably larger...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You want the overall diameter of your spare tire close to the overall diameter of your existing tires. If it's close and you are only using a spare tire to get you a few kilometers down the road to a repair facility, you should be OK.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaminado View Post
    Is it possible to use a 15 inch (Kia rio steel) with 185 tire rim as a spare wheel...putting a 175 tire? ...i think not because its probably larger...
    It is probably too big to fit in the Mirage spare tire holder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    .. Maintain the diameter...i think it fits the place... I think it was designed to fit the 15" tire... The price mitsubishi wants for a spare wheel its incredible... I thought i was going for less expensive car to maintain than my older one... I was wrong... I had 195/50/15 tires and i think those from the mitsubishi are more expensive. Here we have to pay atention to what we change in the car... Because anything not in regulation, homologation and the police will seize the car

Last edited by Vitaminado; 04-09-2017 at 06:26 PM.