Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steering alignment

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well well, so even the 2017's are having issues. Great.

This axle thing makes me think my 2014 axle was bent. I couldn't let go of the steering wheel on the highway for more than a second or so before the car wanted to take off in a different direction. I couldn't knee steer either as the Mirage wanted so many inputs I couldn't keep up. I really didn't like this part of the car.

My 2017 tracks true, has no steering wheel dead spot, (I hated that) and doesn't wallow at all. Maybe I'm Ok.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My steering wheel is also cocked to the left. (I have 1,300 miles on my ES hatch)

I called my dealer and they said they charge $90 to have the alignment checked, unless there's something that can be done under warranty, in which case some of that money might come back under warranty. I figured I'd take it to my alignment shop (which I trust), and see what they say (It's like $50 through them). Just don't want to have to shell out $90 and the dealer goes, "Looks good to me!" when the steering wheel is clearly off. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    My steering wheel is also cocked to the left. (I have 1,300 miles on my ES hatch)

I called my dealer and they said they charge $90 to have the alignment checked, unless there's something that can be done under warranty, in which case some of that money might come back under warranty. I figured I'd take it to my alignment shop (which I trust), and see what they say (It's like $50 through them). Just don't want to have to shell out $90 and the dealer goes, "Looks good to me!" when the steering wheel is clearly off. Maybe I'm being paranoid.
    The 12 month warranty covers all adjustments. This should be covered at no cost to you. Call Mitsubishi Motors North America for details on this coverage. My dealer took care of alignment and replaced my rear axle with no hassle whatsoever.

You bought the car with this warranty. Another way to look at it is Mitsubishi sells these cars with a one year comprehensive warranty - if anything goes wrong or needs adjustment, it will be covered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The 12 month warranty covers all adjustments. This should be covered at no cost to you. Call Mitsubishi Motors North America for details on this coverage. My dealer took care of alignment and replaced my rear axle with no hassle whatsoever.

You bought the car with this warranty. Another way to look at it is Mitsubishi sells these cars with a one year comprehensive warranty - if anything goes wrong or needs adjustment, it will be covered.
    Why do I have a feeling I'll have a fight on my hands for this? Probably because they told me that it'll be $90 already. I read through the warranty section, and there is no mention of alignment. Maybe I'll call again this week and talk to someone. The car has 2,000 miles on it if that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Why do I have a feeling I'll have a fight on my hands for this? Probably because they told me that it'll be $90 already. I read through the warranty section, and there is no mention of alignment. Maybe I'll call again this week and talk to someone. The car has 2,000 miles on it if that.
    Just mention that the steering wheel isn't level when driving straight. The alignment check should be covered under the first year of ownership, an all-inclusive warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Just a reminder, there are three alignment howtos in this forum, one each for caster, camber, toe-in. They are for the front axle, which is adjustable. There is also a dedicated thread about the rear axle...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Just mention that the steering wheel isn't level when driving straight.
    +1

My dealer checked and corrected my alignment for free before I had 1000 miles on my Mirage. Before I took it to the dealer, I got a free alignment check at a local tire chain so I knew the numbers before my dealer started working on it.

From the Rear Alignment Problem FAQ...

23. Will a Mitsubishi dealer check my alignment for free?

Yes…but only if your Mirage is less than a year old and has less than 12,000 miles.
    Adjustments required as a result of a manufacturing deficiency are covered during this period.

TIP: A dealer may still try to charge you for an alignment check even if your car is in the 12 month/12K mile period! To avoid this, give the Service Manager a specific complaint (the steering wheel isn't straight, the steering wanders or pulls to one side, etc). Mentioning a specific complaint will ensure the alignment is free.

TIP: Always request a printout of your alignment settings!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-03-2018),Fummins (01-03-2018),MetroMPG (01-03-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you tell them the steering wheel is not centered any time in first year they have to fix it free under warranty.
    I had mine done and steering wheel was only off 2-3°.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I'll mention this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Be sure to get a copy of the alignment results. A photo of the printout should suffice.