Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: What is your greatest annoyance about the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think my biggest annoyance is that everyone hates these things on the road. I had a corolla with a roof rack flexing their 100+hp this morning. I was already speeding, no other cars on the road and this turd burglar darts around me only to slow down and turn off. It happens often enough that it gets annoying. Mirages get treated like a used tampon on the road. Nobody wants be stuck behind one staring at it.
    Facts, mirage is easy prey to all other vehicles on the road. best to keep it shiny and clean and drive and drive in the right lane unless passing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-19-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Out of curiosity re: your experience do you tend to get students being more or less phone dependent behind the wheel in training? And or do they appear to handle the unpredictability well on the road compared to your past students? I do wonder if there are a change in driving habit among these rookies from 1 generation to another.
    As far as cell phone usage goes, Wisconsin law is stated like this -

"Using a cell phone while driving is against the law in Wisconsin for any driver with a probationary license or instruction permit, except to report an emergency. The law applies to all drivers with a probationary license or instruction permit, not just those under the age of 18."

But I don't think that is your question. You're asking if today's students are different than students from years ago. I didn't start doing btw lessons until 2006 or so. Flip phones were common by then, but smart phones were still on the horizon.

I haven't noticed a drastic change in my new students. They don't all start at the same level, but I sort of get them there eventually. Overall, most students do a good job. Most everyone wants to get their driving license.

For a variety of reasons, my toughest students have been my adult students (who didn't get their driving license when they were younger). My younger students drive with a partner & must do 6 hours of observation time along with their own 6 hours of driving with me. 12 hours of driving together takes care of both of them. Adults don't have to follow any of those rules. So most adult students do solo lessons with me, and they may only pay for a few lessons. If they don't have another adult in their life to practice with, they really struggle. In the end, they need to pass the same driving test. I am like a coach getting them ready for the big game (passing their driving test).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

defensivetackle99 (03-19-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    Facts, mirage is easy prey to all other vehicles on the road. best to keep it shiny and clean and drive and drive in the right lane unless passing.
    Name:  IMG_2053.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  54.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (03-19-2024),Fummins (03-19-2024),inuvik (03-19-2024),ThunderG (03-19-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think my biggest annoyance is that everyone hates these things on the road. I had a corolla with a roof rack flexing their 100+hp this morning. I was already speeding, no other cars on the road and this turd burglar darts around me only to slow down and turn off. It happens often enough that it gets annoying. Mirages get treated like a used tampon on the road. Nobody wants be stuck behind one staring at it.

I think that happens when the smallest of cars are on the road.
    In these parts a Mirage/SpaceStar is a normal sized car, nothing unusual at all. No idiots overtaking just to turn off immediately after.

It was an entirely different story with my Fiat 500 1975 model. That four seater car was 2.9m (72 inches) long, 1.3m (52inches) high and 1.3m (52") wide. Weight was 492kg, top speed 105km/h downhill. Engine was a 14 hp 2 cylinder air cooled machine, that jumped/vibrated up and down in its engine mounts by about 6 inches at idle. The Mirage is like a Rolls-Royce in comparison. The similar sized Fiat Cinquecento is still common on European roads today. They are highly reliable too.

Name:  500.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  93.2 KB
    Last edited by foama; 03-19-2024 at 04:23 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-20-2024),inuvik (03-19-2024),Wil B (03-19-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I think that happens when the smallest of cars are on the road.
    In these parts a Mirage/SpaceStar is a normal sized car, nothing unusual at all. No idiots overtaking just to turn off immediately after.

It was an entirely different story with my Fiat 500 1975 model. That four seater car was 2.9m (72 inches) long, 1.3m (52inches) high and 1.3m (52") wide. Weight was 492kg, top speed 105km/h downhill. Engine was a 2 cylinder air cooled machine, that vibrated up and down in its engine mounts by about 6 inches at idle. The Mirage is like a Rolls-Royce in comparison. The similar sized Fiat Cinquecento is still common on European roads today. They are highly reliable too.

Name:  500.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  93.2 KB
    We had that Fiat back in the day , Even as 9 yr. old I was uncomfortable on a 1000 mile trip from Ontario to the east coast,
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I had a slow 4 seater turd as well. 1983 Suzuki SJ410 with a scabbed together 1L engine. Attachment 26780 I once saw one on the highway loaded into the back of a long box pickup lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-19-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    We had that Fiat back in the day , Even as 9 yr. old I was uncomfortable on a 1000 mile trip from Ontario to the east coast,

You were lucky sitting in the back if your ears didn't fall off from all the noise...

Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    Ok here is another one of mine. Because I carry children and or load stuff on the backseats, the auto lock function does not automatically on when driving. and does not automatically unlocked when parked or power off the G4. Too bad the ETAC doesn’t resolve that.
    I still haven’t looked into this much but my car unlocks all the doors when I put it in park. I’m pretty sure I changed setting in etacs to make it do this. The doors don’t lock in drive or when moving though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)