United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsu is doing WHAT?!

I really don't like this:

https://archive.is/2024.03.11-175802...insurance.html

Karl

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-12-2024),mohammad (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Oh yeah, this is nothing new. I knew about this previously when I bought my 2019 OS/RVR/ASX. I downloaded the phone app for roadside assistance for the future in case I needed it because it was a available "feature". It was called "Mitsubishi Motors Road Assist+". Uber nerd that I am I actually glanced through the EULA on this app and I saw that my driving data (routes), speed, braking, throttle position etc... was shared with NexisLexis. DENIED those terms and conditions and deleted the app. No thank you very much.

It looks like everyone else is doing this to some degree. Yah, that dongle that you plug into your OBDII port to get a better rate or pretty much any other app that "rates" your driving is monitoring you. Looks like GM has it baked into their system software.

Scary stuff
    Last edited by inuvik; 03-12-2024 at 12:46 AM. Reason: More thoughts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

Delete This App

Name:  Delete This App.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  79.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

twister77 (03-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    Hit the brakes for a deer or your neighbor's dog, and your car insurance goes up!

Sounds fair to me! LOL!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Name:  Delete This App.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  79.1 KB
    Interesting. But that app doesn’t support/cover the Mirage. Not sure why it even a thing.

Edit: sorry I meant Mitsubishi connect. Same idea?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Monitoring driver's habits has been around for a while now. I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in how and where I drive, I live a boring & uninteresting life - maybe to treat insomnia?

I suppose if it leads to a insurance discount for safe driving, that's cool. Charge aggressive drivers more, I say.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Similar situation in the EU.
    There is a recent requirement for automatic accident-reporting on new cars. A collision sensor going off raises an emergency alarm. This became the norm in almost all new vehicles that had a phone-pairing device, long before it was actually needed by mandate. I think Ford was one of the first with phone pairing.

Certain only-electric vehicle makers and some more expensive non-electric vehicles have their own secret SIM for that purpose and phone home to the manufacturer without telling. George Orwell's 1984 is an interesting read, becoming more interesting day by day...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-13-2024),mohammad (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I had some kind of app like that I used on my phone and ran the app in my Lexus. It wasn't insurance related. But looking back on the feedback on the app, it would say I had hard stop, aggressive acceleration, road impacts (like hitting potholes).

And NONE of that was true. It was logging crap because my phone would (I guess) hang up on one spot on the map. Then when it would "catch up" to where I really was, that got logged as some kind of "event."

I decided right then and there, no way in heck was I ever going to expose that kind of false data to my insurance company. Do I think they would ever lower my rate? Not even if the app said I was THE PERFECT driver. It wouldn't drop. They only use it to increase rates (my opinion). So they won't get my data.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-13-2024),inuvik (03-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Similar situation in the EU.
    There is a recent requirement for automatic accident-reporting on new cars. A collision sensor going off raises an emergency alarm. This became the norm in almost all new vehicles that had a phone-pairing device, long before it was actually needed by mandate. I think Ford was one of the first with phone pairing.

Certain only-electric vehicle makers and some more expensive non-electric vehicles have their own secret SIM for that purpose and phone home to the manufacturer without telling. George Orwell's 1984 is an interesting read, becoming more interesting day by day...
    Weird, over here police won't even file an accident report unless you have over $5000 damage. And lately we've had a few rcmp stations turn drivers away because they didn't think the damage to our vehicles was enough. So then we had to go get an estimate from a bodyshop then drive the vehicle back across the city to the town where the accident happened a second time and finally get an accident report filed to hand into the insurance company.

As for trackers, I found one in one our cars that was bought used from a private seller(he got if from an auction). It looked very similar to the ones I install but this one had a relay wired into the starter circuit enabling someone to remotely prevent the car from starting, I assume it was installed to make it easier to repo when/if the buyer missed payments.

The trackers I install are used mainly just to see where everyone is to arrange quicker/more efficient pickup and delivery of stuff. They also track "aggressive driving" like hard braking, hard acceleration, top speed, idling time, excessive rpm(on obdII devices), and a bunch of other info.
    I find that drivers who are involved in accidents where they run into the back of someone always seem to have the highest amount of hard braking events recorded out of the entire fleet of 70+ vehicles.

I looked into a tracker deal with my insurer to try and lower my rates but turned out it was an app you put on your phone and if they saw fit your rates would go up. When I change my policy they often try to push their app on me. I just tell them I'm a chitty driver and don't want my rates to go up then they stop pestering. I would like to try it at least once just to see how crapy it is. I believe you can pick and choose which drives you record so if you're running late and plan on speeding you can just not track it or say you're a passenger? Sounds like a pita and just another way for china to steal or buy information. I'd be more worried about having my vehicle tracked if I had something worth stealing.

I've seen the trackers we use at work go crazy and report false information. I had a car on the hoist doing an oil change one time and got a call from a manager asking why their screen showed the car in a residential area across town doing 80mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Weird, over here police won't even file an accident report unless you have over $5000 damage. And lately we've had a few rcmp stations turn drivers away because they didn't think the damage to our vehicles was enough. So then we had to go get an estimate from a bodyshop then drive the vehicle back across the city to the town where the accident happened a second time and finally get an accident report filed to hand into the insurance company.

As for trackers, I found one in one our cars that was bought used from a private seller(he got if from an auction). It looked very similar to the ones I install but this one had a relay wired into the starter circuit enabling someone to remotely prevent the car from starting, I assume it was installed to make it easier to repo when/if the buyer missed payments.

The trackers I install are used mainly just to see where everyone is to arrange quicker/more efficient pickup and delivery of stuff. They also track "aggressive driving" like hard braking, hard acceleration, top speed, idling time, excessive rpm(on obdII devices), and a bunch of other info.
    I find that drivers who are involved in accidents where they run into the back of someone always seem to have the highest amount of hard braking events recorded out of the entire fleet of 70+ vehicles.

I looked into a tracker deal with my insurer to try and lower my rates but turned out it was an app you put on your phone and if they saw fit your rates would go up. When I change my policy they often try to push their app on me. I just tell them I'm a chitty driver and don't want my rates to go up then they stop pestering. I would like to try it at least once just to see how crapy it is. I believe you can pick and choose which drives you record so if you're running late and plan on speeding you can just not track it or say you're a passenger? Sounds like a pita and just another way for china to steal or buy information. I'd be more worried about having my vehicle tracked if I had something worth stealing.

I've seen the trackers we use at work go crazy and report false information. I had a car on the hoist doing an oil change one time and got a call from a manager asking why their screen showed the car in a residential area across town doing 80mph.
    I doubt any insurance company promise of lowering rates.