Thread: How-To: Enable Cruise Control 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 5-speed

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How-To: Enable Cruise Control 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 5-speed

I apologize for my poor documentation in advance. I'm attempting to summarize the thread found here:
    Previous Thread

Be sure to get yourself a copy of the service manual. There are some links with free versions floating around the forum. It helps a lot with the steering wheel disassembly if you've never done that before. Feel free to ask questions. I hope I covered everything.

I Picked up some parts off a wrecked 2015 Mirage ES CVT at the local salvage yard. The only part pictured here that was used was the steering wheel. I tried to get the brake switch but accidentally broke it due to my impatience. Cost myself $20 for a new one. More to come on the other items pictured here in a separate thread:

Ordered myself the following items:
    Brake Switch w/4 pins: p/n 8614A183
    Clutch Switch: 8606A025
    Mini VCI Cable off ebay: Mini VCI Cable Note: Not sure I can say I recommend this cable. Maybe try a more expensive device, especially something compatible with 64-bit operating system. The operation of this cable's drivers is still hit or miss on my laptop.

I Downloaded ETACS Decoder. The software comes with some free server requests so use them wisely. I spent some time messing around getting the mini VCI drivers to get more on my 64 bit machine. Getting all this software to work will probably be the hardest part of this process. I eventually got paired up with the car. In short, I was able to make modifications to anything under the "Engine" tab which included cruise control as well as turning off the eco light. I was unable to modify anything under "ETACS" tab which includes fog lights among other small features so I'm trying to figure that out still.

To start, disconnect the battery. WAIT 1 minute prior to messing with the air bag:

Use these 3 holes (1 on each side, one of the bottom) to push on the wire spring and remove the airbag assembly. Service Manual recommends a T30 torx driver. I used a flat head screw successfully. Just be careful.

Disconnect the wires from the air bag assembly and set it aside somewhere safe. Then, you'll need a 17mm socket and a long ratchet or breaker bar. Brace yourself, hold the steering wheel steady, and turn the nut loose. Make sure to mark the steering wheel relative to the steering column so you can get it on straight again later:

Next, install your new steering wheel and make sure to plug everything back in. Torque the nut to 32 lb-ft. You'll notice the clock spring connector will have more wires from the cruise control and audio controls.

I didn't get pictures for the rest. But here are some notes:
    • Twist the brake sensor 1/4 to the left and it'll pop out of place. Then, take the new brake sensor, push it in the hole as far as it'll go, and give it a 1/4 to the right to lock it into place.
    • Insert clutch switch into the obvious hole. Use a M10 x 1.25 to tighten it in place. I didn't do any adjusting of the clutch pedal.
    • For the clutch, you'll see the wiring and connector electrical taped up on the wiring harness. Pull it out and plug it into the switch

Steering Wheel: $10
    Brake Switch: $20
    Clutch Switch: $20
    Mini VCI Cable: $15
    Total Cost: $65

Last edited by HydroJim; 04-17-2017 at 02:15 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HydroJim For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-17-2017),Eggman (04-17-2017),poorman1 (04-18-2017)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Thanks HydroJim for the write up.
    However, i dont seem to be able to view any pictures, they would greatly help in knowing whats what though.

Would you kindly reupload those pictures say via the forums?

Thanks in advance!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You can follow my DIY (which I've yet to fully compile into a single post) here:

pedal switch install

ETACs programming

You just have to figure out how you want to add the cruise switches. In the thread above I show my solution (which is for sale). Alternatively, you can purchase a steering wheel from a Mirage that has cruise and swap it with the one on your car.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I made it easier for you and compiled my separate posts into one:

DIY: Installing a Daox cruise control kit & enabling cruise in ETACs
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (03-22-2018),Pacuzzo (07-20-2019),Top_Fuel (03-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
    steering wheel
    Do you guys know which yearsl range Mirage steering wheel are compatible with each other? I have a 2018 Mirage G4 and want to know which ones I can look for at local yards for these cruise controls

Quote Originally Posted by Ankryth View Post
    Do you guys know which yearsl range Mirage steering wheel are compatible with each other? I have a 2018 Mirage G4 and want to know which ones I can look for at local yards for these cruise controls
    If you have a plastic block off plate where the cruise switch should go then you can just un screw it and replace it with the cruise switch. I thought all the newer cars came like that? If you're wheel is entirely rubber all the way to the airbag then you'll need a new wheel. I assume 14' and up wheel(with cruise) should fit but I don't know about the switch interchange? 14+mirage too??

Ps, welcome lurker
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Someone please help! How did you get the black and orange connections disconnected from the airbag?! I can’t get them to budge

Country
    United States
    Thanks

PLEASE HELP- Airbag Connections

Someone please help! How did you get the black and orange connections disconnected from the airbag?! I can’t get them to budge
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-27-2020 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Moderator's note: please don't create new threads when there is one active on the subject.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    iirc there's a locking tab that must be pulled out or removed before the connector will come off. I think it's yellow? There's a thread with pics somewhere...

Edit: Thread doesn't have pics. :/ Should be yellow orange, or gray clip, and it may slide, flip, or pull out, and there may be two on each connector.

Last edited by Nobu; 04-27-2020 at 07:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)