Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5" Display Audio with Smartphone link actually sucks

Country
    United States
    Thanks

6.5" Display Audio with Smartphone link actually sucks

I recently upgraded from a 2015 Mirage ES to a 2017 Mirage SE. I made another post comparing the two. I am thrilled with the 17 SE. Though there is one downside....The 6.5" Display Audio with Smartphone link, Apple Carplay, Android Audio, etc. Put simply, i'm totally unimpressed with everything about it aside from the nice 6.5" screen.

Phone calls:
    In my old 2015 with the standard stereo and factory bluetooth I could make calls using my voice and the steering wheel controls. Nice and safe. In the 17 Mirage the steering wheel voice dialing is locked out. No problem, I can just hit dial on the touch screen....that is after I navigate through a series of menus to get to an actual number. I haven't been able to figure out how to voice dial with the press of one button! How is this convenient...or safe when compared to how it was in the 2015?

Bluetooth audio:
    In the 2015 I could stream bluetooth audio perfectly. Stop (turn off) the car, the audio stream would pause. Get back (start car again) in and it would pick back up right where it left off. It was very nice. In the 2017 Mirage I must navigate to 'Media', then to 'Bluetooth Audio', then play it. If I turn off the car for any reason, a full repeat of the process is needed to resume playing.

...total downgrade of what could otherwise be an amazing stereo experience. Luckily, this is the only downside to the new car!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VespaGoGo For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Not to sound like a jerk, but have you read the owner's manual? Maybe there is something you are missing?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not to sound like a jerk, but have you read the owner's manual? Maybe there is something you are missing?
    Cover-to-Cover. Sadly, it works exactly as i've described. No more getting into my car with the phone in my pocket or backpack and using voice control to make calls and/or pick up the bluetooth music stream I had going. Now to place a call I must (1) Click the phone icon on the car's touchscreen, (2) then either enter a phone number (who memorizes numbers anymore? This is why we have voice dial by contact) and press dial - or - press 'Call history' and navigate to the desired number - or - press 'contacts' and navigate through the hundreds of contacts to find the person I want to call. Even then there is another button to actually make the call.

It sounds as stupid as it is...that's the process they've created with the touchscreen stereo system. I honestly wish I had my old 2015 standard stereo back. With it I was seconds away from being able to place a voice command call to any contact or phone number within seconds of starting the car by using the button located right at my thumb on the steering wheel. No need to look away to navigate through a maze of menu options.

One side note: There is voice command available through the Apple Carplay integration, but to use this the phone must be physically plugged into the USB port (the one hidden in the glovebox). Why should I have to physically connect my phone to arguably the worst location for a usb port when on the older and/or cheaper model car (and every other car with steering wheel controls and/or bluetooth) I could do all this without the need to physically connect the phone? IMO this is a total fail on the part of Mitsubishi. Doesn't kill my love of the car, but it certainly makes it far less desirable than it could be. Especially considering the lower end model and the 2015 model had the added feature of being able to use the steering wheel controls to voice dial using bluetooth.

Bluetooth Audio is now equally as bad. Previously It worked great. Now the operator must click 'Media', then 'Bluetooth Audio' each time. Previously I could stream Napster via bluetooth and it would automatically pick up the stream without intervention if the stereo was in the proper mode. Turn the car off and it would pause the Napster stream and disconnect the bluetooth link. Turn the car back on and the Napster stream would automatically reconnect and pick back up where I left off. Now it not only requires the multiple steps to enable (EACH TIME), but it also fails to reinitiate the stream, so each time the series of touchscreen presses ensues, followed by picking up the phone to press play on the Napster stream. First world problems, yes...but automobile features should evolve for the better. They nailed everything else. It looks great, has more power, runs smoother, has better suspension, and is just plain fun. Then there's the blaring oversight that was previously much better with a far cheaper system. This will be the only negative marks I give Mitsubishi when the survey arrives, but it will be the lowest rating I can give. I hope you're listening Mitsubishi!

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My andriod phone is too out of date for the android auto but I also am not able to use the voice dialing. Always tells me feature not available but clearly the car is equipped with everything needed. I figured it was the phone but my phone works with the 2015 setup.

I will say I'm driving a 2016 Chevy Cruz rental car right now and every time I get out of the car it disconnects the Bluetooth and transistions back too a static radio station that requires multiple button mashing on both the phone and cars display to start my Bluetooth radio feed again. So it's a problem on other manufacturers also.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To me it's an oversight that shouldn't have happened. How would anyone doing any testing think it was a good idea to have steering wheel controls that you lock out when given a system that would work superb with the controls? My suspicion is that it's like the Apple Carplay/Android Auto integration that overrides internal GPS. It's likely that the two Smartlink systems made for redundant features. Though if that's the case they should have lobbied to enable Carplay bluetooth connectivity so physically connecting a device wasn't required. I also thought the whole idea behind bluetooth connectivity was for safety, so you could dial without the temptation to look away from the road. It seems like voice command is a much safer system considering people frequently make phone calls while driving. Plus, the controls work on the cheaper version of the same car. Why charge more to take away?

All that said, this is my only complaint with the car, so that goes to show just how awesome these little cars are - especially considering what we pay for them vs what we get.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Completely agree, however, with Android auto, voice works well. You can relocate the USB port, there's a diy for it
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    Completely agree, however, with Android auto, voice works well. You can relocate the USB port, there's a diy for it
    I cannot get AA to work with my Note 4. Apple hooks up instantly and the dealer was able to make his Android hook up. What device are you using?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with O.P.
    The display audio unit is the one disappointment in an otherwise excellent car.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I cannot get AA to work with my Note 4. Apple hooks up instantly and the dealer was able to make his Android hook up. What device are you using?
    Galaxy S5 running lollipop. What do you have?
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    Galaxy S5 running lollipop. What do you have?
    Galaxy Note 4 running marshmallow 6.0.1

Will weld for beer.