Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do the struts/shocks last?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burghbeagle View Post
    Those are universal shocks, not a custom replacement for our cars. As of now there are no aftermarket companies making shocks or struts for our cars. Mine are getting mushy at 61k but I drive mostly city over cobblestones and potholes.
    Will a universal shock work?

Why is this not a bigger issue here? This seems to be the only thread on this topic. Maybe we have more miles on our cars than most?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Will a universal shock work?

Why is this not a bigger issue here? This seems to be the only thread on this topic. Maybe we have more miles on our cars than most?
    Yes a universal shock will work but i wouldn't go that route there's a lot more to it than "does it physically fit"

I don't understand your dilemma honestly. New, and used, parts are available, as well as aftermarket shocks and struts, springs.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Yes a universal shock will work but i wouldn't go that route there's a lot more to it than "does it physically fit"

I don't understand your dilemma honestly. New, and used, parts are available, as well as aftermarket shocks and struts, springs.....
    Where? Everyone else in this thread says aftermarket shocks and struts are not available for the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Where? Everyone else in this thread says aftermarket shocks and struts are not available for the Mirage.
    There's multiple people here on aftermarket suspension setups that include different brand components. Including shocks struts and springs. There's hundreds of threads dedicated to them.

Here's some no name oe replacement shocks that supposedly fit. You can even save $8/ea off factory name brand shocks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rear-Sho...sd%3D382052581

If your gripe is "I can't buy Monroe sensitracks for $13!" Then don't complain about the OE stuff because you have no idea what cheap garbage is, and you'll regret bolting that junk on in no time anyways.

50k miles out of factory stuff is perfectly acceptable, and I don't think $500 for a OEM suspension makeover is out of line in the least. $125/corner is pretty cheap. Atleast, in my experience.
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 04-26-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's multiple people here on aftermarket suspension setups that include different brand components. Including shocks struts and springs. There's hundreds of threads dedicated to them.
    Where? All I see are high performance stuff that's very expensive.

Here's some no name oe replacement shocks that supposedly fit. You can even save $8/ea off factory name brand shocks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rear-Sho...sd%3D382052581
    Yeah, I already saw that one. As far as I can tell it's the only one and it's only shocks not struts. And it's Sabana Auto Parts from Puerto Rico. It's not really confidence inspiring. That's why I didn't list in in my previous post.

If your gripe is "I can't buy Monroe sensitracks for $13!" Then don't complain about the OE stuff because you have no idea what cheap garbage is, and you'll regret bolting that junk on in no time anyways.

50k miles out of factory stuff is perfectly acceptable, and I don't think $500 for a OEM suspension makeover is out of line in the least. $125/corner is pretty cheap. Atleast, in my experience.
    I went to RockAuto under Yaris which also has front struts and rear shocks. The best quality stuff totaled out to about $200 for front and back. From my experience those parts are much better than the OEM Mirage shocks and struts and almost a third the cost. If I had the OEM installed at my local dealer it'd probably cost over a $1000 for a maintenance item on an economy car! That doesn't seem good to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This car has been sold in multiple different countries for several years...right? Isn't this a very popular car in the Philippines? There has to be a manufacturer somewhere producing reasonably-priced aftermarket shocks and struts. A pair of decent rear shocks for this car shouldn't cost nearly $200.

Maybe someone from outside the US can help us out? What is the aftermarket parts selection like outside the US?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $200 for shocks does seem a bit steep....

TOKICO (OEM strut/shock mfr) lists the shock @ strut to fit, "lancer/colt/mirage"

http://www.tokico.biz/catalogue/index.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $200 for shocks does seem a bit steep....

TOKICO (OEM strut/shock mfr) lists the shock @ strut to fit, "lancer/colt/mirage"

http://www.tokico.biz/catalogue/index.html
    A bit of googling and I'm wondering if any shock that fits a 2009-2015 mitsubishi lancer will bolt into the mirage with the spring seat cut off and top hat adaptor removed

Top hat you don't need

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Suspens...NYt7Yf&vxp=mtr

This opens the door for $35 special-matics

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-02-2017),Eggman (04-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Different vehicle weights. That would be nice though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What are the negative consequences of driving with worn shocks? I'm thinking I can go another 20K on mine and then I'll pay the $500 for the crappy OEMs if no substitutes are available.