Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long do the struts/shocks last?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Different vehicle weights. That would be nice though.
    Don't forget about "motion ratio" or basically how the shock is leveraged. Which, in the mirages case would be "disadvantaged" set behind the spring. ( and not enough so)

It's an oil filled shock so position at rest doesn't matter, either. My guess would be mitsubishi buys premade shocks and adapts them however they need, which is how you end up with that top hat looking bs. The part number directly from tokico is the same for both cars so..

Just saying, maybe someone that works at a parts store could pull one out and look is all

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (04-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Just posting a little update here since it applies. I've contacted aftermarket shock manufacturers and Tokico. More info here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...uts-and-Shocks
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I have 64K on my 2014 Mirage. My suspension is starting to feel worn, at least to me. How long do the shocks and struts typically last? Do I have front struts and rear shocks? I don't see any 3rd parties selling them.

Thanks!
    How long is a rope? I haven't seen any loose or worn out parts yet on the delivery cars that I service. One car has twice as many miles as yours. No leaking shocks or struts, no rattles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I haven't replaced struts ever, I don't have a mirage, but 260,000 mile on a 03 Malibu and 98 Stratus, 206,000 on my current Cobalt, though one is noisy it still works as it should. 1990 Sentra was told I they needed replaced by tire shop but didn't. I decided it could go thru a lot of $30 tires for the cost of the struts 200,000 miles. 150,000 97 Saturn never even looked at them. My current Cobalt is even the only car that I've ever even had the alignment checked at 200,000 (did one SUV). Been buying my own cars since 1987. .

IMO just throwing away money replacing struts/shocks unless they spill all of their oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    What are the negative consequences of driving with worn shocks? I'm thinking I can go another 20K on mine and then I'll pay the $500 for the crappy OEMs if no substitutes are available.
    Worn shocks - likely nothing.
    Blown shocks - Tire cupping or accelerated tire wear.

Do the bounce test. If the car ping pongs up and down I would personally replace the shock.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Worn shocks - likely nothing.
    Blown shocks - Tire cupping or accelerated tire wear.

Do the bounce test. If the car ping pongs up and down I would personally replace the shock.
    Yeah, I did that and it seemed ok. I think this may be my imagination, just thinking about it too much.

That being said, I have a question about coilovers. Can you adjust coilovers so that I'll still have the same clearance and offroad "performance". I occasionally take my car on some rough dirt roads and I've heard comments about lower clearance with coilovers. I don't mind sacrificing some handling.

If a coilover kit is a better product and just a little bit more cash I'd consider it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    mine only lasted 60k here in NY replacing them now. cant get the bolts off myself so im gonna have to take it in to a shop