Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dolores first oil change filter will not budge

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Update on Dolores first oil change

On Monday Dolores was taken to our local mechanic they have multiple locations and been in business for decades they admitted it was one of the hardest filters to remove they used a pipe wrench and removed the plastic shield to get leverage.

I am disappointed Mitsubishi would allow the filter to be installed this tight so much for following torque specs that they tell us consumers or our trusted mechanics to follow.

The good news I wasn't losing it and I can now do the job for now on. I will let everyone know when I try changing Dott's oil the first time if I experience the same.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just get an oil filter wrench, grip it, and rip it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    On Monday Dolores was taken to our local mechanic they have multiple locations and been in business for decades they admitted it was one of the hardest filters to remove they used a pipe wrench and removed the plastic shield to get leverage.

I am disappointed Mitsubishi would allow the filter to be installed this tight so much for following torque specs that they tell us consumers or our trusted mechanics to follow.

The good news I wasn't losing it and I can now do the job for now on. I will let everyone know when I try changing Dott's oil the first time if I experience the same.

In all fairness, you can't blame Mitsubishi for that tight filter. They're all harder to remove than to put on. Oil the rubber ring with a few drops of engine oil rubbed around with a finger. Hand tighten to where the ring contacts engine relatively firmly. Then, the most common recommendations say give it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn by hand. Check for leaks after oil fill by running engine. Shut off engine and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Recheck level on dipstick, adjust if needed and again the next day

I like putting oil level where it's easy to remember...say exactly half way between the holes. Any oil consumption or leakage is easy to spot that way. Always park in the same spot (for level consistency) and check cold before startup.

It's a good idea to change oil while engine is hot...you get a lot of tiny particles out that way and the oil drains more completely because it's a bit thinner. A lot of people pre oil the filter before installation. Fill it up with new motor oil and let it soak through before installation.

Guard your eyes when you're under the car and place oil pan so it catches draining oil....it sort of comes out in an arc then straightens out as the level lowers. Use all safety precautions like stands and blocks. A friend of mine got killed when his poorly welded bumper gave out because of the jack. They found him the next day.

Some viewpoints on the subject:

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...move-any-way-i

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've messed with super tight filters before, after changing the oil filters on semi trucks, industrial equipment, and I would guess over 1,000 vehicles in my life, I've never had a filter as difficult as my mirage to remove. I bought the correct filter socket and it stripped the oil filter flutes, I tried my ratchet filter wrench and it was on the verge of crushing it. I paid Walmart to help me remove it, they used a 3 jaw gripper and crushed the filter several times while trying to remove it until it finally gave way with a 24" 1/2 ratchet on the adjustable filter tool.

Since then I've done all my own oil changes and I don't do the "oil up the o rings gasket for the oil filter", I never have. I snug my filter very lightly and I can always remove it by hand easily when it's time to change it. Same with my drain plug, I maybe put 10ft lbs if that, very lightly snugged and it never drips.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've found small oil spots under my car recently. The nights have been around -10F. I looked and it was coming from the spout under the oil filter. I hand tightened it a bit more, temps went up slightly and no leak.

Temps dipped again around -10F and a large amount of oil leaked.

I will use a wrench to properly torque it first and may replace the filter. FYI 36k mi. on a 2015.
    Last edited by roscoe1972; 01-02-2018 at 09:24 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to roscoe1972 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    I've found small oil spots under my car recently. The nights have been around -10F. I looked and it was coming from the spout under the oil filter. I hand tightened it a bit more, temps went up slightly and no leak.

Temps dipped again around -10F and a large amount of oil leaked.

I will use a wrench to properly torque it first and may replace the filter. FYI 36k mi. on a 2015.
    What kind of filter do you use? I've never ran into that with a mirage and it's been as cold as -33F for a few nights.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)