Thread: Projector Headlights and LED Tail lights

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Projector Headlights and LED Tail lights

Alright, this ones for Gnarles2 in particular but I figured others might find this useful. Just a little write up on the lights on my car.

We'll start with the tail lights as they're the easy ones. This is where I bought mine. Shipping took maybe a week at the most.
    I'm sure you all know how to remove them but incase you don't, remove the 2 screws.

Name:  18217379_10155371044877642_176840573_n.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  51.3 KB

Once you have the old one off, the plugs are behind the rubber stopper and in the hole. Unplug the old ones and plug in the new ones.
    Once it's plugged in you're gonna need an LED load resistor kit otherwise your dash is gonna light up like the Eiffel Tower - This is the one I used.
    The kit comes with everything you need. You're gonna splice it into the blue wire and the black wire. I honestly have no idea what wire the blue one is, but it does the job. Once you're done with that attach the resistor to a metal on the car. I used mounting tape but you can screw it in if you want.

Name:  18197602_10155371044932642_142877739_n.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  54.4 KB
    Name:  18191386_10155371044922642_88909440_n.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  82.0 KB

And that's it for the tail lights! Screw them back in and viola!

Name:  18197521_10155371045367642_1003979455_n.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  38.5 KB

Okay now for the headlights. This one is a little more tricky and I'm happy to answer any questions or take additional photos if need be.
    For the actual process I followed Alex1a1f guide. I'm not going to go over the stuff he mentioned in his guide because there's really no point. Mostly I'm gonna go over the wiring and halos and such. Here's a list of the parts I personally used:

Projectors (The shrouds that come with them are trash if you want a look similar to mine)
    HID Xenon Conversion Kit - H1 - 6000k (Choose whatever color you want for them but I went with 6000k which is pure white)
    Krylon Black Spray Paint For Plastic (Optional if you're painting the insides of your lights black)
    HID H4 Hi/Lo Bi-Xenon Controller Relay Harness
    LED Projector Shrouds 2.5"/64mm (Use whatever ones you want as long as they are the right size for your projectors)

Once you've followed Alex's guide you should have your projectors fitted into the actual headlights. A few things to be wary of whilst doing this process:
    - Be sure to mask your chrome reflectors properly. The black paint isn't fun to clean off of the inside of the turn signal reflector. I actually have to buy chrome paint and re-paint the insides of mine because my masking job wasn't good enough.
    - Make sure your projectors and everything is clean before you seal if back up. I didn't check mine and there's a mark on one of my projectors. It doesn't bother me much but its annoying if you look at it closely.

Name:  18191387_10155371045242642_1227019066_n.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  52.2 KB

Okay so with that out of the way lets move onto wiring.
    My relay harness is mounted on the metal up by the drivers side light:

Name:  18191669_10155371045077642_1380041933_n.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  97.0 KB

It's attached to the battery for power (the bolt you use to loosen the positive terminal is the only pole I could get it to fit onto but it does the job.)

Name:  18191094_10155371045027642_787258112_n.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  84.5 KB

My wiring is a little messy but it is also secured with zip ties and not dangerous in the slightest. It is recommended that the ballasts are mounted to the metal of the car (due to heat). I have one mounted to the metal on my passenger side and one to the plastic batter cover on the drivers side.. I had plans to relocate the drivers side onto metal but it hasn't caused any issues with heat yet. So the relay harness is gonna connect to your ballasts on each side, one of the original H4 plugs(I used the passenger side) and also the Hi/Lo wire of your projector. So this is gonna receive the signals from your car and send them to the ballasts to control the lights. I don't have a close up of the H4 plug, but it's the one that comes out of your original bulbs.

Name:  18217236_10155371045102642_1206421828_n.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  76.3 KB

I have the main relay harness wire zip tied along the front of the car out of the way of any moving parts.

Name:  18155686_10155371045042642_1841216262_n.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  63.6 KB

Alright so your lights are all wired up at this point hopefully aside from the halos. Turn them on, give'em a try, make sure your Hi/Lo beams are functioning correctly.
    Now let's wire in some halos. The particular shrouds I chose have two halos in them (White/Red). I wanted them both on at the same time, at all times so I twisted the white wire of them both into each other and the same with the red just to save on multiple splices. If you wanted one of them to flash with the turn signals or something then you'd have to splice them separately to the appropriate wires.
    I spliced my white wires to the purple wire of the H4 plug and the red wires to the black. This will have the halos turn on with the low beams and off with the high beams. If you want them to come on with the parking lights, I believe the green wire will do that (I'm not entirely sure though).

Name:  18191418_10155371045117642_96858016_n.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  80.3 KB

Now with your halos wired up you should be good to go. Go ahead and test them out and then secure any loose wires to the side of the car and out of the way of any moving parts.

That's pretty much it. I'm not much of a writer so I'm not sure how that turned out. Let me know if you need clarification on anything!

Thanks,

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooter For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (04-28-2017),ISP_guy (04-28-2017)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanks for the solution for my dash lighting up like the eiffel Tower. :P

I knew it was a problem of the load difference but did not know yet what resistor i must use.

Now i do and will order me a set of that sylvania load resistors.

so thanks again

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickdavina For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (05-05-2017),Scooter (05-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdavina View Post
    Thanks for the solution for my dash lighting up like the eiffel Tower. :P

I knew it was a problem of the load difference but did not know yet what resistor i must use.

Now i do and will order me a set of that sylvania load resistors.

so thanks again
    One suggestion... Follow where to connect the wires and harness... But don't Follow how this is Done. This is shoddy at best. It's s mess. Don't ever use splice connectors or anything that leaves connections open. Cut and solder connections or use marine grade connectors and shrink. Zip tie and electrical tape things tight. Wires shouldn't just be left to hang around loose and vibrating.

I have projectors and drls etc, and there's no way I would ever let it look or complete this way. Sorry.
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 05-04-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    One suggestion... Follow where to connect the wires and harness... But don't Follow how this is Done. This is shoddy at best. It's s mess. Don't ever use splice connectors or anything that leaves connections open. Cut and solder connections or use marine grade connectors and shrink.

I have projectors and drls etc, and there's no way I would ever let it look or complete this way. Sorry.
    I never claimed to be a professional. The resistor kit came with the splice connectors so that's what I used.

I'm no expert in wiring, I figured that was evident... but thanks for the tips.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I never claimed to be a professional. The resistor kit came with the splice connectors so that's what I used.

I'm no expert in wiring, I figured that was evident... but thanks for the tips.
    Any additional things or wiring added to a vehicle, esp on the exterior, needs to be wired as close to OEM looking as possible. Wiring needs to be reliable. It should be water-tight and mounted. Take your time, making sure everything is done right. Check out YouTube videos on proper wiring techniques. Splice connectors are always a no go...just because they're supplied doesn't mean it's the right way, because it's not.

It wasn't necessarily a comment against you, but just the job. Nothing is worse when a customer brings in a car with electrical issues and it's do to junk wiring jobs. They hate the labor charge to repair it.
    (blank signature)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Scooter (05-05-2017)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Any additional things or wiring added to a vehicle, esp on the exterior, needs to be wired as close to OEM looking as possible. Wiring needs to be reliable. It should be water-tight and mounted. Take your time, making sure everything is done right. Check out YouTube videos on proper wiring techniques. Splice connectors are always a no go...just because they're supplied doesn't mean it's the right way, because it's not.

It wasn't necessarily a comment against you, but just the job. Nothing is worse when a customer brings in a car with electrical issues and it's do to junk wiring jobs. They hate the labor charge to repair it.
    I get what you're saying. Honestly I had no idea.. the only other wiring I've done is fitting lights in my wife's scion and the tutorials online said to splice. Maybe I should go back and redo them properly one of these days.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (05-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Maybe I should go back and redo them properly one of these days.
    In the dry climate of Glendale, I think you'll be fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)