Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage front brake job: some interesting observations (2017 pad retrofit doable)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts

2017 Mirage front brake job: some interesting observations (2017 pad retrofit doable)

So a buddy and coworker of mine bought an Infrared 2017 Mirage ES CVT this past summer. He loves it. A couple weeks ago he asked me about a noise he was getting from the right front wheel. I asked him how many miles he had on it now and he said, "About 35,000."

I immediately suspected he was due for a set of front brake pads, as mine had only lasted about that long before they were down to the squealer clips. I did a quickie inspection of the pad depth through the holes in the wheels, and it seemed as though he had plenty of pad left. The noise really bothered him.

I recommended that he take the car to Mitsubishi and have them figure out what it was, but he told me that he would like to have me replace the front brake pads anyway. He had to order them in at the dealership as NOBODY who sells Mitsu parts online seemed to show them.

When I removed the front brake pads, I was able to confirm what I had already told him. The brake pads were not only fine, but had about 40%-50% of the friction material left. He uses his car for delivery, as I do, and is not easy on his brakes. Unlike my car, his car is his daily driver (mine is just for work). Mitsubishi definitely made some improvements here!

The new pads, with new part number, had friction material that was visually different than the older OEM pads. It was lighter...a tannish color instead of a dark gray. But I noticed one other thing as well: the '17 pads have the same dimensions as the '14-'15 pads.

Yep. I have an extra set of Raybestos pads for my '15, and the dimensions of the pads are EXACTLY the same. So it may be possible to use the better '17 pads on your '14-'15 Mirage, should you choose to do so.

That noise he was hearing? Turns out it was the tires. He rotated them and it went away. Oh, well...he won't need to worry about his front brakes until he hits about 90k!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-01-2017),Eggman (04-29-2017),gone.a (05-08-2017),Johnny Mullet (04-29-2017),MetroMPG (05-02-2017),MightyMirageMpg (04-29-2017),Pryme (05-02-2017),Ranny (05-03-2017),Top_Fuel (05-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you happen to catch if the caliper mounting dimensions were the same?

This would allow you to buy the larger '17 disk, and the caliper mount (which IS available seperate thru mitsu) and bolt on new, larger breaks during a brake job really easy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great info. Thanks for sharing!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow he puts a lot of miles on. He must be doing lots of highway and you must do lots of city if your pads were done at 35k and he had half almost?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The pads are similar but the material is different

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Nice find!

I guess Mitsu wasn't kidding when they said they improved the friction material.

Though I'm surprised they both last longer and bite better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nice find!

I guess Mitsu wasn't kidding when they said they improved the friction material.

Though I'm surprised they both last longer and bite better.

I bet they made them ceramic

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    I bet they made them ceramic
    They looked ceramic. He uses his car for in-town delivery, just as I do. But that is ALL I use mine for. When I am not working it's parked in the garage, and it probably only has about 20 highway miles on it. His car is also his daily driver.

He tends to drive fairly aggressively from what I have seen. Well, as aggressively as can be driven in a CVT Mirage! Mitsubishi definitely improved the pads, but I was expecting bigger pads to go along with the (apparently) bigger rotors. What is the point of making the rotors bigger if the pads remain unchanged? To improve cooling and reduce fade?

I don't know how the new OEM pads feel, but I can tell you that the Raybestos pads I put in my '15 have MUCH more bite.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-03-2017),Top_Fuel (05-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Larger diameter gives you increased stopping power since your distance from the axis of rotation is longer (lever arm is longer). You're applying the same torque to the disc, but from farther away (longer lever).

Larger diameter probably also cools better as you mentioned.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-07-2017),MetroMPG (05-03-2017)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    They make a lot of dust...