Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't buy these front brake pads

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Maybe I got a bad set? I've disassembled the front brakes twice re lubricating and double checking everything. I've tried every trick I know of and the rotors are good. Will be switching pads when I change lower control arms and bushings in the near future.

The harder the pad material is, the more the squeak. For example, trains usually have very loud brakes because the "pad" is cast iron!

Asbestos was rightly banned in pads and linings a few years ago. Since then, manufactures generally switched to semi-metallic recipes. The resultant pads were usually a bit harder, and had a higher tendancy to squek.

Metallic pads and linings have more recently hit the market. These are harder, and as a consequence, the squeak more easily and wear the rotors out quicker.
    My advice: Stay with the semi-metallic OEM Akebono pads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah... but...

This is my second set of these pads. First set never did this. Also after working as a mechanic for 7 years, I do have a very well understanding of brake pad material and I had numerous ceramic pads that did not squeal. These are ceramic/semi metallic designed pads.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)