Thread: Observed a metal grinding noise when doing a sharp turn.

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Observed a metal grinding noise when doing a sharp turn.

Hey guys!

So yeah, what could this be?? Have you experienced this? There are times I hear this metal grinding noise even when I'm just driving in a straight road. Sometimes the noise is there, sometimes it's not. But as of yesterday, the same noise is there when I did a sharp turn in the parking lot.

I've read somewhere that maybe there's just a pebble/rock stuck between the rotors. But, I think it's more than that. Just need ideas and advise. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the noise is a constant rotational grinding, not related to use of the bakes, and coming from near a front wheel, I would park the car with the wheels turned the same angle as when you hear the noise and look for a slightly bent dust shield or pebble. In good light look for signs of rubbing such as wear marks, fresh rust, lack of grease, or grease where there shouldn't be any etc. While parked with the wheel turned, bounce the noisy side up and down, stand on the door sill and bounce it to see if it will cause rubbing.
    On another car I had a bent dust shield do it but only when the wheel and suspension were just so. Thought it was a pebble, drove me insane.

Is it related to the brakes or clutch?
    Does it click?
    Do you feel it vibrate?
    Where is it coming from?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    If the noise is a constant rotational grinding, not related to use of the bakes, and coming from near a front wheel, I would park the car with the wheels turned the same angle as when you hear the noise and look for a slightly bent dust shield or pebble. In good light look for signs of rubbing such as wear marks, fresh rust, lack of grease, or grease where there shouldn't be any etc. While parked with the wheel turned, bounce the noisy side up and down, stand on the door sill and bounce it to see if it will cause rubbing.
    On another car I had a bent dust shield do it but only when the wheel and suspension were just so. Thought it was a pebble, drove me insane.

Is it related to the brakes or clutch?
    Does it click?
    Do you feel it vibrate?
    Where is it coming from?
    Hey. Thanks! I'll look in to it later after work. Anyway, no it's not related to the brakes/clutch. It doesn't click, no vibrations. I think it's from the left side wheels, not sure whether front or back. Guess I'll have to figure out later. Thanks again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For weird noises that are reproducible but hard to locate I try to find a wall or high curb that I can drive past to listen to the reflected noise. Lower only the one of the front windows and listen. Then drive past again with only one of the rear windows open. Try putting the rear seats down and remove all the trunk carpeting/spare etc to let noise in.

It doesn't always work, but it can help a little in the right situation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you have aftermarket wheels? My sparco bought from the dealer had too little of a offset and would rub on the tie rod under had cornering and at times on a not so leveled ground also in turns.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Do you have aftermarket wheels? My sparco bought from the dealer had too little of a offset and would rub on the tie rod under had cornering and at times on a not so leveled ground also in turns.
    Sorry what do you mean by aftermarket wheels? Not really the techy-type when it comes to cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you have wheels that you purchased or are not factory installed?
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Do you have wheels that you purchased or are not factory installed?
    Oh right, sorry, thanks anyway, my wheels are all factory-installed. My car's about 10 months old now. I really think the rotor's rubbing into something. But I can't see it.