Thread: H9 bulbs in foglights

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

H9 bulbs in foglights

anyone tried H9 bulbs in their fog light housing? - basically the high beam version of H11. I don't want to put LEDs in there for obvious reasons- poor light output and color mismatch with headlights (back to halogens, tried bunch of different LEDs with no real success..im picky when it comes to beam pattern).

I wanna supplement headlights with a longer beam of fogs when travelling in pitch dark..hence the high beamers. My only concern is if the heat from H9s is going to melt tiny fog light housing. Any suggestions?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Good question. I did a little online research on this.

From what I found, the H11 is rated at 55 watts and is typically used for low beam. The H9 is rated at 65 watts, is typically used for high beam and (on wattage only, not to mention beam pattern) so is brighter.

Comments on Amazon said because of it's higher power rating the H9 will not last as long as the H11. One commenter said they used the H9 in place of an H11 (not for fogs?) and had to do some modification in order for the plug to fit. I'm not sure if the car's plug needs to be cut up, or the bulb. I think this is intended to keep from using the wrong bulb.

Here's a link to an ordinary H9 bulb on Amazon: Philips H9 Standard Halogen Replacement Headlight Bulb, 1 Pack. On this page you can also select Philips' H11, and read reviews and comments for both. It's where I found most of my info above. It looks as if you are not the only one to try different bulbs.

You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I think it's worth a try - and a write-up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ah yes, I did read that, along with buncha auto-forums. H9 is a high beam bulb without the glare shield that comes in low beamers/H11. There's a small plastic tab that needs to shaved off on H9 bulb to be able to use it with H11 connector. My only issue is the heat generated by the 65W H9 in a "tiny" fog light housing.

I have tried three different kinds of LEDs - with and without glare shield on them, and also the ones with philips lumileds. Same light output. I have also had mini plug and play projectors with built-in HIDs, sadly I wasn't able to lock them in..even though they fit perfect in headlight housing.

Is there anyway to make run low beams too when I switch on highs? - by playing with wiring and such. I wish mirages had separate bulbs like civics do!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    Is there anyway to make run low beams too when I switch on highs? - by playing with wiring and such. I wish mirages had separate bulbs like civics do!
    I run both only when I hold my turn signal stalk in, so it's as temporary as I can hold the stalk.

But the price is right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)