Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust upgrade. Muffler or Resonator swap

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Omg! That is a very long write up you got there! Haha. Set aside the intake mod first,i will do it after i done with my exhaust and thanks for those information on the intake weakness,yeah it's a pretty small intake that we have under the hood. Haha

So, by cutting down the resonator 2 will not affect the performance? Great. Btw, i didnt know that there is a resonator before the muffler,i thought it was a catalytic converter 2.

Here is my plan, i want to put a twin loop muffler to replace the stock one, but im not sure on the placement. What should i opt for? Placing it at the stock muffler position and straight thru to the back? Or straight thru from the resonator 1 and place the twin loop muffler at the rear end?

Bcos the problem is, will the twin loop be able to fit on the stock muffler position without affecting the ground clearance. Plus i did read on your post in other thread stating that changing the muffler position to the back of the car will affect the performance.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I would like to share my little story.

I had my CAI and headers installed back then during my first year of ownership as my first mods keeping the stock muffler. However, due to the increased exhaust gas flow, vibrations increased on the exhaust system. Eventually, there was rattling on my muffler at certain RPM's: at about 900 RPM and in the vicinity of 3K. At first, it was difficult to ascertain whether it's coming from the CAT or the muffler. When I brought the car to the shop, it was found that the rattle was coming from the muffler and there's something like a detached bolt inside it which you can hear when you shake the muffler. I was not able to check though what it was as I left it at the shop. The muffler shop makes its own brand of mufflers (STIVO) but I preferred the stock muffler. So, my replacement was the same model as they had it also on stock.

After 6 months, the pipe that connects the CAT to the muffler got detached (cut) at the CAT end.

Name:  09-11-2016 - Broken Pipe.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  78.1 KB

I got it re-welded and after 8 months, it got broken at the other end this time. I guess this can be attributed to the thinness of the pipe; increased exhaust gas pressure was also a factor.

Name:  DSC_Broken pipe 2a (Up).jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  DSC_Broken pipe 4.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  82.5 KB

I had that pipe part replaced w/ SS one. I have also the stock muffler now replaced w/ Flowmaster HP-2 which has been quite lying around for sometime. I purchased it last year as spare.

Name:  DSC_0148 (up).jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  P_20170604_094939 (up).jpg
Views: 2728
Size:  94.6 KB

Sound is about the same as the stock muffler (slightly louder). Power and torque improved - observed at road humps at gear shifting and smoother acceration. I love it.. my problem only as of now is the vibration rattle when the aircon is on during idling - none when the RPM is past 800 RPM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    The exhaust, goes header, catalytic converter, resonator 1, muffler, resonator 2 (at least in the US).
    I thought these cars have two catalytic converters?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgiarazza View Post
    Omg! That is a very long write up you got there! Haha. Set aside the intake mod first,i will do it after i done with my exhaust and thanks for those information on the intake weakness,yeah it's a pretty small intake that we have under the hood. Haha

So, by cutting down the resonator 2 will not affect the performance? Great. Btw, i didnt know that there is a resonator before the muffler,i thought it was a catalytic converter 2.

Here is my plan, i want to put a twin loop muffler to replace the stock one, but im not sure on the placement. What should i opt for? Placing it at the stock muffler position and straight thru to the back? Or straight thru from the resonator 1 and place the twin loop muffler at the rear end?

Bcos the problem is, will the twin loop be able to fit on the stock muffler position without affecting the ground clearance. Plus i did read on your post in other thread stating that changing the muffler position to the back of the car will affect the performance.
    Twin loops are more of a gimmick than quality. If you were to take apart a stock "turbo" style muffler and compare it to a twin loop, they are essentially the same, the only difference is the twin loop has external mandrel bends while the stock muffler has them internally, and its a harsher bend.

However, if that is what you want, and it will fit, go for it. However if im thinking right, it might be too big.

I myself plan to move the muffler to the rear like a normal car as there are more exhaust options that fit that style. However, if/when i do, where the stock muffler is, will be an equal sized resonator.

Until someone goes out of their way to get two custom made identical exhausts, we wont know what effect moving the muffler would actually do on this engine....

If someone out there wants to have two 1.75" exhausts, both using the same muffler, but one at stock location and the other at the rear, and dyno test to see the true differences, we wont really know for sure what effect it will have coupled with our engine.

In that note ive seen a cut away of the stock muffler, and there is nothing fancy about them in my personal opinion that should effect the engine because of placement. Others have reported changes, but could also be other factors.

The catalytic converter is attached to the exhaust manifold. Then a small resonator. Then the muffler. Then a ton of pipe. Then resonator 2. Removing the rear resonator the car sounds really good for stock. I did not notice any driveability issues from doing so, felt the same, just had a bit more grumble/tone to it, but nothing ear shattering, not even close. Like i said, a buddy of mine had no clue i even removed it until i visually showed him because its still pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I thought these cars have two catalytic converters?
    Nope. I thought so too but was corrected by someone who works for the dealer and has first hand knowledge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    Nope. I thought so too but was corrected by someone who works for the dealer and has first hand knowledge.
    Interesting. This contradicts what this post by ahausheer has to say:

Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    They are both cats - I hollowed out the honeycomb on the second one myself....its a regular cat, its just not monitored by any sensors. Many, if not all modern cars, have a second, non monitored cat. It is an omission on the part of the manual (which also absolutely fails to mention or show the oil pump anywhere FYI). It looks like a resonator but its a cat. The actual resonator is at the back of the car, well after the larger muffler which is in roughly the middle.

A subtle give a way is the heat shield. Cats get quite hot (due to their exothermic chemical reactions I think) resonators will not have an attached heat shield.
    While I'm not sure who to believe, I guess I'll have to believe ahausheer's experience in the matter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. This contradicts what this post by ahausheer has to say:

While I'm not sure who to believe, I guess I'll have to believe ahausheer's experience in the matter.
    Did he post a picture?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I agree w/ ahausheer. I have not taken picture of the 2nd CAT at the inlet but I can attest that it does have a honeycomb filter in it. Resonators do not have honeycombs and a heat shield.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Namco how are you figuring these sizes as gospel?

If you Look at the factory manifold, on the 15 atleast, it looks engineered for durability and zero engineering for venturi lol. So from a "performance" standpoint i don't see how you couldn't make gains.

From an eco standpoint i really wish to learn more..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-26-2017)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Thanks for that sharing Mitz.
    I cant believe that the muffler can get cut down like so when changing to intake to CAI and aftermarket header. Then, i should be changing my piping together when i change my muffler then in the future.

Btw, would u mind sharing us some pic and details of your CAI and your aftermarket header?

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Hye Namco,

From your point of view on twin loop muffler up there, i thought twin loop muffler is like a straight flow muffler but just way quieter. So it's no different than a turbo style muffler is it? Then, i might cancel my plan on twin loop muffler,haha

Stick to my other plan, replacing the muffler with glasspack or some other thing that is straight flow. On the stock position

If u check couple of drift xaust on YouTube, most of the car are having the 2nd cat deleted, a resonator then a muffler on the rear,it sounds superb,but have no idea on the performance or fuel consumption. If someone on this forum have experience to convince me on that setup, i might keen to do just like in the drift xaust video