Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exhaust upgrade. Muffler or Resonator swap

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgiarazza View Post
    Thanks for that sharing Mitz.
    Btw, would u mind sharing us some pic and details of your CAI and your aftermarket header?
    Name:  P_20151210_164422_(up).jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  99.2 KB

Please see my posts

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post35265

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post37760

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-27-2017)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Thanks Mitz. I also would like to upgrade intake in the future. But since there is no aftermarket intake for mirage in my country i might ask those workshop to fabricate it for me. I did quote for supercircuit header in my country but it's far expensive, $370.

Btw i find out that u got stiff ring upgrade on your car there,how it is working out? What does improvement that u notice?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    @mitz, did you have a flexible joint in your setup prior to the flow master?

dgiarazza: I broke my stock exhaust flange when I changed to aftermarket. What matters is you must have a flexible joint somewhere along the line either by using a flex pipe like Mitz has on his flow master or by a ball and socket joint like the stock exhaust flange has.
    When I changed my pipe the flange they had was just a flat flange and had it bolted up rigidly and I broke the stock headers flange.

For headers I recommend the Super Circuit ones as they have designed it correctly by adding a flex pipe to absorb all the vibrations.
    The vibrations on our engines are violent. You can view my video of the exhaust vibes with the stock headers and custom pipe and rigid flat flange connection here:

https://youtu.be/8oYJXhXjjTI

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Btw i find out that u got stiff ring upgrade on your car there,how it is working out? What does improvement that u notice?
    Ride handling improvement on bumpy roads or rough roads.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (07-02-2017)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    @mitz, did you have a flexible joint in your setup prior to the flow master?

dgiarazza: I broke my stock exhaust flange when I changed to aftermarket. What matters is you must have a flexible joint somewhere along the line either by using a flex pipe like Mitz has on his flow master or by a ball and socket joint like the stock exhaust flange has.
    When I changed my pipe the flange they had was just a flat flange and had it bolted up rigidly and I broke the stock headers flange.

For headers I recommend the Super Circuit ones as they have designed it correctly by adding a flex pipe to absorb all the vibrations.
    The vibrations on our engines are violent. You can view my video of the exhaust vibes with the stock headers and custom pipe and rigid flat flange connection here:

https://youtu.be/8oYJXhXjjTI
    I've observed the stronger vibrations when I had the exhaust manifold changed w/ headers and I suspect the stock flange ball joint may not be enough so I added a flex pipe on installation of the Flowmaster muffler.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Hye Fitz, how is it going with the supercircuit header so far? Is there any noticeable difference on the vibration of your exhaust? I read in other thread that it was hard for you to get off the stock header without messing around with other stuff on the drivetrain right? Btw, we are using the same model, mine was attrage too came in white color and its a cvt.

Last 3 days i already did my exhaust mod. I change the muffler with a semi louverd muffler(cant rmber how long it is),if not mistaken,the inlet and outlet was 2". The piping was stock and the rear resonator was changed with 2" hks straight flow muffler. My plan is to get a sflow muffler(since my car is cvt) for the rear but my budget was not enough and the shop got no stock left for any affordable sflow muffler.

After couple of days driving,i noticed the throttle response increase. The sound was just nice, bassy and raspy sound at 1.5k rpm- 3k rpm. I dont have problem w drone noise in the cabin. I cant tell wheter i lose any low or high end torque or not, but so far,there is no much difference from the stock factory set up other than the throttle is slightly way responsive to me. Besides, i really need to control my foot if i want to maintain the fuel consumption but cant help with the exhaust sound haha.

One thing that bug me is the muffler vibration at the rear muffler and the engine vibrate more than before. I dont think it is normal for the muffler to vibrate that way,as compared to other setup in the youtube that i watch which show that the rear muffler not vibrate at all. Where did i go wrong? Is the inlet and outlet of both muffler(2") that affect the vibration?

To be clear,my exhaust setup is stock header-stock 2nd cat- 2" in/out semi louvered muffler- 2" in/out hks straight flow muffler. Hopefully someone can help me w this,im worried that in the future the vibration will break my piping

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Hye Fitz, how is it going with the supercircuit header so far? Is there any noticeable difference on the vibration of your exhaust? I read in other thread that it was hard for you to get off the stock header without messing around with other stuff on the drivetrain right? Btw, we are using the same model, mine was attrage too came in white color and its a cvt.

Last 3 days i already did my exhaust mod. I change the muffler with a semi louverd muffler(cant rmber how long it is),if not mistaken,the inlet and outlet was 2". The piping was stock and the rear resonator was changed with 2" hks straight flow muffler. My plan is to get a sflow muffler(since my car is cvt) for the rear but my budget was not enough and the shop got no stock left for any affordable sflow muffler.

After couple of days driving,i noticed the throttle response increase. The sound was just nice, bassy and raspy sound at 1.5k rpm- 3k rpm. I dont have problem w drone noise in the cabin. I cant tell wheter i lose any low or high end torque or not, but so far,there is no much difference from the stock factory set up other than the throttle is slightly way responsive to me. Besides, i really need to control my foot if i want to maintain the fuel consumption but cant help with the exhaust sound haha.

One thing that bug me is the muffler vibration at the rear muffler and the engine vibrate more than before. I dont think it is normal for the muffler to vibrate that way,as compared to other setup in the youtube that i watch which show that the rear muffler not vibrate at all. Where did i go wrong? Is the inlet and outlet of both muffler(2") that affect the vibration?

To be clear,my exhaust setup is stock header-stock 2nd cat- 2" in/out semi louvered muffler- 2" in/out hks straight flow muffler. Hopefully someone can help me w this,im worried that in the future the vibration will break my piping
    The Super circuit headers so far so good. When I showed exhaust shops in Singapore and JB they were impressed with the quality of the workmanship of the headers. The after effects of the headers are much louder exhaust sound due to the lack of the first and second cat. I found it way too loud. Initially I only changed the mid muffler with a HKS straight through muffler and it sounded nice and not too loud. Once i changed to the headers, it way too loud and had to add a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. Even then it didn't help much. The sound wasn't raspy but the bassiness was too much when moving off at 1200rpm onwards so much so that I am triggering car alarms as I drove past in the carpark. I couldn't stand it and proceeded to replace the resonator at the end with a Magna flow muffler which made it better but not as quiet as before.

Power wise I frankly don't trust my Butt dyno. I would prefer to see dyno numbers. Unfortunately to get a useful dyno reading for a CVT is hard because the gearbox can't stay in one gear. So until I find a technique to get repeatable results i wouldn't know what the gains are.

With regards to removal and installation yes it's a pain to remove. You will have to dislodge the things cvt drive shaft in order to get the headers in and out. That means a TOP up or full drain of the cvt fluid. Since my last service I have not put the headers back in. I did all these myself to save on labour as it's quite expensive in Singapore.

As for vibrations.. the stock exhaust as it is vibrates a lot. Since you are on your stock headers and second cat that means you kept the original ball Joint which should absorb the vibrations well. If you want you can always add a flex pipe to absorb the vibrations. The rear muffler vibrates a lot. Even on the stock setup when you stop in D it will vibrate. I usually put it to neutral to reduce it.

Don't worry too much about the pipe. If it does break just weld it back.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    The Super circuit headers so far so good. When I showed exhaust shops in Singapore and JB they were impressed with the quality of the workmanship of the headers. The after effects of the headers are much louder exhaust sound due to the lack of the first and second cat. I found it way too loud. Initially I only changed the mid muffler with a HKS straight through muffler and it sounded nice and not too loud. Once i changed to the headers, it way too loud and had to add a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. Even then it didn't help much. The sound wasn't raspy but the bassiness was too much when moving off at 1200rpm onwards so much so that I am triggering car alarms as I drove past in the carpark. I couldn't stand it and proceeded to replace the resonator at the end with a Magna flow muffler which made it better but not as quiet as before.

Don't worry too much about the pipe. If it does break just weld it back.
    Thanks for giving me the review on the supercircuit header. i am looking forward to order it from supercircuit but for now im still saving up some pennies for it. Cant believe that your exhaust setup was so laud that it trigger the car alarm in the parking lot! haha. is that magnaflow muffler a straight through or sflow? how was the low and high end torque so far on your attrage? are you suffer any loss between high or low torque end?

If you have time, may i see the dyno result on your current exhaust setup? and if can, update more of your exhaust video sound in the youtube hehe, looking forward on that.