Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust upgrade. Muffler or Resonator swap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Exhaust upgrade. Muffler or Resonator swap

Hye guys, i want upgrade my exhaust system to bring out the bassy growling sound but not extremely loud, i have no idea wheter to swap the resonator or my muffler. Im on tight budget now so it would be either one. It would be nice if i can maintain my mpg or increase a bit of my performance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Check out this thread for some ideas...

Need exhaust muffler system ideas!! Post videos!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Those thread still not convince me yet. So the rule is to keep the same muffler id and keep the stock reso? If i were to do a resonator delete,will it result in power loss?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgiarazza View Post
    Those thread still not convince me yet. So the rule is to keep the same muffler id and keep the stock reso? If i were to do a resonator delete,will it result in power loss?
    If you are looking for "sound" and want to keep the car relatively stock performance wise (no tuning, no messing about with ecu's and such) then stick to stock pipe size.

As a starter I chopped off the rear resonator. On these cars the muffler is in the middle of the car and resonator on the rear. Removing the resonator keeps it quiet but gives a bit more grunt when full throttle. Still not noticeable compared to other stock cars that already sound that way.

I was gonna do a full exhaust upgrade custom made by me, but I broke my back (literally) and the spine damage has stopped me from walking. Hopefully I heal.

However, as a basis for info. I'll restate what I have in other threads.

If you are looking for sound, stick to stock pipe size. You can replace the muffler with something like a cherry bomb glasspack or other brands of similar design (in pipe diameter same as out diameter). If that doesn't suit your taste, simply move the muffler to the rear where it belongs and pick a standard tuner muffler or classic box muffler.

If you plan do some some light tuning later on, with things such as intake, and messing with air/fuel ratios, you can go up to about 1.75" maybe 2" in pipe diameter.... Only go 2.25-2.5" pipe if you plan to boost (turbo or supercharge, which both right now require custom setups as there are no kits).

Summit Racing has a literal eff ton of mufflers and resonators to chose from when deciding on a custom exhaust. There is always the choice of going to a muffler shop and have a conversation with them on what brand to chose from if you don't feel up to the task of buying your own.

If I remember correctly, stock size is 1.5" or about that size.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-22-2017),MetroMPG (05-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    If you are looking for "sound" and want to keep the car relatively stock performance wise (no tuning, no messing about with ecu's and such) then stick to stock pipe size.

As a starter I chopped off the rear resonator. On these cars the muffler is in the middle of the car and resonator on the rear. Removing the resonator keeps it quiet but gives a bit more grunt when full throttle. Still not noticeable compared to other stock cars that already sound that way.

I was gonna do a full exhaust upgrade custom made by me, but I broke my back (literally) and the spine damage has stopped me from walking. Hopefully I heal.

However, as a basis for info. I'll restate what I have in other threads.

If you are looking for sound, stick to stock pipe size. You can replace the muffler with something like a cherry bomb glasspack or other brands of similar design (in pipe diameter same as out diameter). If that doesn't suit your taste, simply move the muffler to the rear where it belongs and pick a standard tuner muffler or classic box muffler.

If you plan do some some light tuning later on, with things such as intake, and messing with air/fuel ratios, you can go up to about 1.75" maybe 2" in pipe diameter.... Only go 2.25-2.5" pipe if you plan to boost (turbo or supercharge, which both right now require custom setups as there are no kits).

Summit Racing has a literal eff ton of mufflers and resonators to chose from when deciding on a custom exhaust. There is always the choice of going to a muffler shop and have a conversation with them on what brand to chose from if you don't feel up to the task of buying your own.

If I remember correctly, stock size is 1.5" or about that size.
    Did deleting the resonator cause any drone issues? Did the tone change or just slightly more volume?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    no, deleting the res, its still stupid quiet, just gives a little grumble/throat to the sound of the exhaust. if you had no idea what a mirage sounded like stock, you would think it was stock because its not loud at all. no drone. its smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7VfORj7Ps0

Found this on youtube. Just a bit more grumble to the exhaust. More throaty sound. Still balls quiet. Stock audio/radio can easily be heard over this kind of mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to23C8Lu-QI

apparently, the same guy also changed out oem muffler to a borla, which you can tell is louder.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-22-2017),gone.a (05-18-2017),MetroMPG (05-18-2017)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I would like to share my little story.

I had my CAI and headers installed back then during my first year of ownership as my first mods keeping the stock muffler. However, due to the increased exhaust gas flow, vibrations increased on the exhaust system. Eventually, there was rattling on my muffler at certain RPM's: at about 900 RPM and in the vicinity of 3K. At first, it was difficult to ascertain whether it's coming from the CAT or the muffler. When I brought the car to the shop, it was found that the rattle was coming from the muffler and there's something like a detached bolt inside it which you can hear when you shake the muffler. I was not able to check though what it was as I left it at the shop. The muffler shop makes its own brand of mufflers (STIVO) but I preferred the stock muffler. So, my replacement was the same model as they had it also on stock.

After 6 months, the pipe that connects the CAT to the muffler got detached (cut) at the CAT end.

Name:  09-11-2016 - Broken Pipe.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  78.1 KB

I got it re-welded and after 8 months, it got broken at the other end this time. I guess this can be attributed to the thinness of the pipe; increased exhaust gas pressure was also a factor.

Name:  DSC_Broken pipe 2a (Up).jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  DSC_Broken pipe 4.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  82.5 KB

I had that pipe part replaced w/ SS one. I have also the stock muffler now replaced w/ Flowmaster HP-2 which has been quite lying around for sometime. I purchased it last year as spare.

Name:  DSC_0148 (up).jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  P_20170604_094939 (up).jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  94.6 KB

Sound is about the same as the stock muffler (slightly louder). Power and torque improved - observed at road humps at gear shifting and smoother acceration. I love it.. my problem only as of now is the vibration rattle when the aircon is on during idling - none when the RPM is past 800 RPM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-26-2017)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Thanks for that sharing Mitz.
    I cant believe that the muffler can get cut down like so when changing to intake to CAI and aftermarket header. Then, i should be changing my piping together when i change my muffler then in the future.

Btw, would u mind sharing us some pic and details of your CAI and your aftermarket header?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgiarazza View Post
    Thanks for that sharing Mitz.
    Btw, would u mind sharing us some pic and details of your CAI and your aftermarket header?
    Name:  P_20151210_164422_(up).jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  99.2 KB

Please see my posts

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post35265

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post37760

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

dgiarazza (06-27-2017)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Thanks Mitz. I also would like to upgrade intake in the future. But since there is no aftermarket intake for mirage in my country i might ask those workshop to fabricate it for me. I did quote for supercircuit header in my country but it's far expensive, $370.

Btw i find out that u got stiff ring upgrade on your car there,how it is working out? What does improvement that u notice?