Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered some redline 75w80 MTL.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just ordered some redline 75w80 MTL.

Found it for $55/gal on Amazon. It said in description 70w80 and also in other places 75w80 so I called redline and it's the same thing the tech said. Good to know.

I will do both my mirages and let you all know when it's done and my take on it.

Here is a link to the quart bottle as well: Red Line (50204) SAE 75W80 API GL-4 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Lubricant - 1 Quart

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Found it for 55/gal on Amazon.
    That's a good price. Would you provide a link to the product on Amazon? I found it for almost $56/gal so it must be the same thing.

And it's GL-4. Someone else here used something other than GL-4 and reported their synchros started acting different.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to hearing your results. Pictures please!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (06-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes that is the one I ordered! I will update when it's in. It just shipped.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

And it's GL-4. Someone else here used something other than GL-4 and reported their synchros started acting different.

!
    And then quickly drained it back out.

Apparently gl5 eats brass syncros and my shimmering drain pan filled with syncromax was enough proof for me.

Pryme, why are you changing fluid are you having issues or just messing around

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Because I feel the redline is going to be far better than what's in there. And it's so cheap to do.
    The gearbox on this car is okay but not smooth. On my car especially going into 4th. But all are a little notchy. Nothing Terrible though.

When I changed the engine oil and filter to M1 I noticed an immediate improvement in not hearing valve chatter so I'm going to keep the trend going to the gear box.

Also I am a believer in running it a bit to break in and changing to fresh fluid. At least on things that are easy to do.
    I changed oil at 1650mi

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Because I feel the redline is going to be far better than what's in there. And it's so cheap to do.
    The gearbox on this car is okay but not smooth. On my car especially going into 4th. But all are a little notchy. Nothing Terrible though.

When I changed the engine oil and filter to M1 I noticed an immediate improvement in not hearing valve chatter so I'm going to keep the trend going to the gear box.

Also I am a believer in running it a bit to break in and changing to fresh fluid. At least on things that are easy to do.
    I changed oil at 1650mi
    If all your gears are significantly notchy your clutch may not be releasing 100 percent. If it always clunks into reverse, even if you pause in neutral with the clutch disengaged, you may consider checking to make sure the clutch is releasing fully. My gearbox is quite smooth in all gears.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once in awhile you can feel it grab a gear or two in reverse. It's not real notchy. I'd describe it more as "bumps"? It's way lightly into each gear.
    Regardless, redline is a superior product than whatever the factory fill is. And for 25.00 per car it's worth it to me. And gives me an excuse to go in the garage haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The redline came. Says 75w80 GL4 right on jug. Now I just need to find the time and put it in. I will post once it's in for a bit with impressions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Pryme what do you think about changing the oil in one transmission and leaving the other for a week or so for a comparison?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How man quarts does the transmission hold? I can't seem to find it anywhere!