Thread: Volumetric Efficeincy

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Volumetric Efficeincy

Does anyone know what the number is for the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It varies with RPM. Where you make your most torque is when you have the highest volumetric efficiency. Its likely in the mid 90s I'd guess at peak torque.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I would be looking at around 2500rpm as that seems to be the happy spot for the engine. Trying to get Torque to give me the most accurate fuel flow rates possible. I think the default number is .83 or .85, I figured we have to be better than that but even after reading up on how to calculate it, I think I don't have all the info needed. Sadly Mitsubishi does not give the info in the specifications. I'm also trying to figure out the usefulness of the engine load reading as it relates to fuel economy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Floyd View Post
    Sadly Mitsubishi does not give the info in the specifications.
    I would expect the MIVEC variable valve timing would change the VE number not just with engine speed but with load, no?

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Floyd View Post
    I'm also trying to figure out the usefulness of the engine load reading as it relates to fuel economy.
    I wonder the same thing because my app shows very low horsepower numbers. I think it might be helpful when trying to achieve low fuel consumption.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I would expect the MIVEC variable valve timing would change the VE number not just with engine speed but with load, no?

I wonder the same thing because my app shows very low horsepower numbers. I think it might be helpful when trying to achieve low fuel consumption.
    Yes, at lower engine speeds, MIVEC intentionally closes the exhaust valves early in the exhaust stroke and opens the intake valves less to intentionally reduce cylinder filling (volumetric efficiency). As a result, more exhaust gas from the last combustion stroke remains in the cylinder. This helps to save fuel by decreasing the effective displacement of the engine and reducing pumping losses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alvinkiang For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvinkiang View Post
    Yes, at lower engine speeds, MIVEC intentionally closes the exhaust valves early in the exhaust stroke and opens the intake valves less to intentionally reduce cylinder filling (volumetric efficiency). As a result, more exhaust gas from the last combustion stroke remains in the cylinder. This helps to save fuel by decreasing the effective displacement of the engine and reducing pumping losses.
    I've heard about this. I also understand that this can effectively act as an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation.)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Mirage MIVEC was on the intake only and the exhaust was fixed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I've heard about this. I also understand that this can effectively act as an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation.)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Mirage MIVEC was on the intake only and the exhaust was fixed.

Yes, you are correct. The different variations of their cam timing systems may be found here:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...ary/mivec.html

The 3A92 mirage setup is found on that page. Intake valves only.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-11-2017),Eggman (05-11-2017)