Thread: So I Installing Door Welcome/Warning Light

Country
    Indonesia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

So I Installing Door Welcome/Warning Light

Many cars now have lights built into the door panel that turn on when the door is opened so that other motorists and cyclists can tell the door is open and (hopefully) not run into it and also to make it looks cool. Mirage, however doesn't have this feature, so I decided to install it.

The basic idea is to get a LED lamp in the door turn on using Mirage's door switch. It's pretty simple, I need 30 mins top.
    Name:  HTB1Sx8JRpXXXXaeXVXXq6xXFXXXV.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  26.1 KB

First, you'll need a LED strip (duh) and pry tools or a screwdriver.
    Pry open a panel at the bottom near the seat. And locate a single wire that is coming from the door's switch. (mine's red wire)

Name:  IMG_20170527_060951.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  84.2 KB

Pry open the door's panel. It'll be hard to open the first time. There's a detailed instruction here http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/M...Removal-Guide/

You'll need to insert a new wire through the rubber grommet, grab the longest plastic cable ties you have, and roll it up with your wire with a tape, like this:

Name:  IMG_20170527_062212.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  45.9 KB

Cut a small slit in the rubber grommet with a scissor. Be careful not to cut any wire!
    Smear those cables with liquid soap. Use your finger, try to smear it as deep as possible.
    If you don't lube those wire with liquid soap, your cable won't get through. Mirage has a weird S-shape grommet that will make sure your cable won't go anywhere unless you use liquid lubricants and flexible wire.

Name:  IMG_20170527_062001.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  32.0 KB

Insert the cable ties (and so your wire) through that slit and get it out from the other side.
    The POSITIVE(+) wire go to your ACCU/BATTERY POSITIVE. I use the fuse box to get the (+) power
    The NEGATIVE(-) wire go to that single wire from the door's switch

Name:  IMG_20170527_064438.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20170527_062305.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  52.4 KB

Check everything before you put any panel back.
    Name:  IMG_20170527_063632.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  44.1 KB

Now, Every time you opens your car, your door will be light up!
    Name:  IMG_20170527_070944.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  65.4 KB

I have bad camera and a bright room lighting. So here it is the same door in a dark room
    Name:  IMG_20170528_160640.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  15.0 KB

Last edited by dennyhiu; 05-28-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: adding dark room photo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dennyhiu For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-27-2017),Frank_A05 (05-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great work!

I never even realized that there wasn't some sort of light or reflector there. I think this is the first car I've owned that doesn't have that safety feature.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_A05 View Post
    Great work!

I never even realized that there wasn't some sort of light or reflector there. I think this is the first car I've owned that doesn't have that safety feature.
    Thanks Originally I want to do this :
    Name:  443456_x800.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  74.7 KB
    But I don't have a drill, and other equipment to do so. I hope one day I will be able to do that

Yes, exactly! My older car have one, albeit just a reflector. I think Mitsubishi is just being cheap and cutting costs by sacrificing quality to save that extra dollar. In my country where motorcyclists are everywhere, every time, I think it is a must have.

Also as a added bonus, you can install projector light into your door, this is from Mitsubishi Lancer
    Name:  Mitsubishi-Car-LED-Courtesy-Door-Logo-Projector-Light-Ghost-Shadow-Light-for-Mitsubishi-asx-lanc.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  94.7 KB
    Last edited by dennyhiu; 05-27-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dennyhiu View Post
    Thanks Originally I want to do this :
    Name:  443456_x800.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  74.7 KB
    But I don't have a drill, and other equipment to do so. I hope one day I will be able to do that

Yes, exactly! My older car have one, albeit just a reflector. I think Mitsubishi is just being cheap and cutting costs by sacrificing quality to save that extra dollar. In my country where motorcyclists are everywhere, every time, I think it is a must have.

Also as a added bonus, you can install projector light into your door, this is from Mitsubishi Lancer
    Name:  Mitsubishi-Car-LED-Courtesy-Door-Logo-Projector-Light-Ghost-Shadow-Light-for-Mitsubishi-asx-lanc.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  94.7 KB
    I'm going to start looking for an easy to install option. A lighted one.

Do you have any leads on a universal kit perhaps?

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_A05 View Post
    I'm going to start looking for an easy to install option. A lighted one.

Do you have any leads on a universal kit perhaps?
    In Aliexpress or eBay there are many door warning light specially built for a specific car. If you want to install that, you'll need to drill and cut the door's panel accordingly.

Second option that I consider is to use a flat-head COB LED, like this. This option still requires a bit drilling but, I think it will be far more easier. This is the cheapest solution, for $4 and you'll get 10 of this thing

Name:  Wholesale-shiping-1W-50x-White-T10-194-168-high-power-Car-LED-light-Bulbs.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  10.5 KB

There is one that is actually universal, although it uses battery and also the most expensive

Name:  Anti-Collision-Rear-view-Car-door-open-warnning-flash-Light-Auto-car-door-Warning-Light-car (1).jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  28.9 KB

Last edited by dennyhiu; 05-27-2017 at 08:51 AM.