Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corroded connector in cabin causing warning lights to come on. FIX: relocate it

Corroded connector in cabin causing warning lights to come on. FIX: relocate it

I guess I'll just start one thread about all the different problems I've had on different cars that had corrosion issues at a certain wiring connector.

Edit: I'll fix this thread up and/or probably make a video about this problem and how to fix it one of these days.

Last edited by Fummins; 11-24-2022 at 06:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (03-12-2019),Cobrajet (03-12-2019),Daox (03-12-2019),MetroMPG (03-18-2019),MirageSEFan (03-15-2019)

I'll save this spot for later. K here’s a pic of the connector.(pic should be rotated counter clockwise 1/4 turn Attachment 14157 and here’s where it’s located. Directly below the hood release at the very bottom.(and this one should be clockwise 1/4 turn...)The white connector on the end(bottom){rh} Attachment 14158
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-13-2019 at 09:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-18-2019),MirageSEFan (03-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you think treating the connector terminals with Dielectric grease would prevent the corrosion? My 2017 has less than 1,700 miles. I might pull off that kick panel and take a look in there before I develop a problem. I could try to be proactive and coat the connector terminals with Dielectric grease.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    Do you think treating the connector terminals with Dielectric grease would prevent the corrosion? My 2017 has less than 1,700 miles. I might pull off that kick panel and take a look in there before I develop a problem. I could try to be proactive and coat the connector terminals with Dielectric grease.
    I'm thinking the same on my 2018... putting the Dielectric grease on it & also coating the harness & area with the Krown rust proofing spray...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Maybe a grown up(admin) can merge my other post's when I figure out where they went?
    Ugh so demanding.

Brake warning light

Airbag light B1419, B1418

Abs light

When are youins gonna pick a new name.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-12-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added ABS light

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So what did you have in mind regarding merging your other posts? There's lots of discussion in those threads. How about including the relevant info here for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 13828 this might be the problem. Connector c-212. This is the lowest connector clipped to the kick panel below the hood release handle. A lot oh stuff runs through it, the lf airbag sensor being one of the wires. Thankfully I scanned it when the airbag light first came on, cause now I still can't get any communication to any modules. Car runs better when I push both ends of the plug together.
    Let's get more pictures of these connectors.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-12-2019 at 10:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's not just a request for more pictures from only you but anyone else who has this problem. I can imagine there's many more out there.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    As Fummins said, there's and old thread about the recall concerning corroding connectors behind the kick panel. I think Fummins started it and it was called " Keep your floors dry" or something similar.

The carpet on these cars lets water through, unlike the very similar but impervious carpet on Suzuki's that is thickly PVC coated on the back. The wetness on our carpets gets to the connectors behind the left kick panel and causes havoc.
    On mine, I have put plenty of vaseline (petroleum jelly) over the connectors where they mate and on the wires leading away. Additionally there is a sheet of plastic around them. That was years ago, and they have kept in perfect condition since.

With the connectors like in fummins picture, there will also be corrosion between the actual wire and the connector-pin itself, which will inevitably cause problems.
    Last edited by foama; 03-16-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It might not be a bad idea for people living with lots of road salt and/or snow to pull up their carpet and hose these connectors down with something like this while their car is new. Cheap insurance?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would avoid the flex seal as it will trap any started corrosion in the connector.
    A good choice could be a krown type products as it will creep up the inside of insulation protecting the copper wires.
    Or dielectric grease, but not all dielectric greases are the same. Some have more anti corrosion properties than others.
    As these appear to be non sealed connectors I would disconnect the connector and pack both faces with dielectric grease.
    Then as you re connect the connector it should use hydrolic force to push the grease threw the connector and out the back.
    Then Finnish loading the back of the connectors with grease.
    Not trying to suggest a specific product as I do work for the company but trying to give an example.
    But in the lab we uses truck-lite NYK-77 corrosion protection.
    This seals and protect connectors in salt water immersion tanks. Humidity chambers and all other battery of tests we put headlamp, tail lamp, marker lamps, and harnesses through.
    Not necessarily suggesting that particular product just using as an example of a anti corrosion product.
    Hope this helps
    Wounder if you could flex seal the back of the carpet in that area to help keep it dryer?

Last edited by A-Aron; 03-16-2019 at 01:14 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-16-2019),Eggman (03-16-2019)