Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about a squeak!

I have a 2015 here at work that sounds similar. I changed the front pads about a month ago with some wagner qs. Shortly after the driver was complaining of a noise from the front right that stopped when he touched the brakes. Everything looked fine, I sprayed the rotors with brake quiet, it was good for a few days then the noise came back. It only seemed to do it when it was warm, I pulled the pads off and cleaned everything, re lubed it everything, sprayed brake quiet stuff on the rotors. It was good for another week. Yesterday the same noise came back. This morning I swapped the rotors and pads from one of the parts cars we have and so far so good. I haven't had a problem with these pads before, the rotors looked okay but I changed them cause I had extras anyways and didn't want to see this car come back again for the same problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennkuhn View Post
    For the last little while when it's very dry and nice out, when I go from 0 to about 50, a squeak squeak squeak emits from the front right wheel.
    Hey jennkuhn any updates on this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Brakes are a VERY likely culprit here. The '14s and '15s are notorious for eating up brake pads. If you got the car at 50,000km they had probably already been done once. Add another 36,000km to that and they are almost certainly due again.

I did my brakes once at 31,000 miles, and again at about 58,000 miles...86,000km = 53,000mi. The brakes were made bigger for 2016/2017 and the pad material was also changed to help with this problem.
    Would you recommend changing the brake pads every 20k or 30k miles?

I'd recommend changing them when they get worn down to 25-30 % for customers. I'll sometimes let them go further on my own stuff cause I like throwing money away when the rotors get chewed up.
    We've had lots of mirage's get over 60000miles on front pads then others barely get 30k miles. I changed a set the other day that had 86000miles. They were totally worn down but didn't destroy the rotors yet. Depends on how you drive, check them out. Both inner and outer pads.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-03-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd recommend changing them when they get worn down to 25-30 % for customers. I'll sometimes let them go further on my own stuff cause I like throwing money away when the rotors get chewed up.
    We've had lots of mirage's get over 60000miles on front pads then others barely get 30k miles. I changed a set the other day that had 86000miles. They were totally worn down but didn't destroy the rotors yet. Depends on how you drive, check them out. Both inner and outer pads.
    See I have no idea how I am on my brakes. I like to feel like I dont ride them, then again I nevered was taught proper braking style.

If in doubt pull the wheel, take a picture and post it. You'll get an answer here. I've seen shops tell people they need new brakes at 50%. Stupid me told the people they don't need them yet. I shoulda said yeah, everything the dealer tells you is right and I'll do all the work for 1/2 what they charge, coulda made and easy $1000 in labour last month replacing brakes and 2 struts in a vensa
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If in doubt pull the wheel, take a picture and post it. You'll get an answer here. I've seen shops tell people they need new brakes at 50%. Stupid me told the people they don't need them yet. I shoulda said yeah, everything the dealer tells you is right and I'll do all the work for 1/2 what they charge, coulda made and easy $1000 in labour last month replacing brakes and 2 struts in a vensa
    But you didnt because your a good dude Fummy. Its like an episode from an 80s sitcom where there like a cantankerous mean ole bastrd in the plot, but then it turns out he has a heart of gold lol. Like Mr. Belvedere or Silver Spoons. Did yall get those shows up in Canada back in the 80s or was it just Kids in the Hall reruns?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Would you recommend changing the brake pads every 20k or 30k miles?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNc_h7ZjOUE

Get a set of those colored brake guages on eBay for under $5 and you will know EXACTLY how much life remains on the pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbqdDUALJD0

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-05-2019)