Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about a squeak!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Lightbulb Question about a squeak!

Please direct me if I am in the incorrect spot for asking this or if there's somewhere else I should be asking;
    For the last little while when it's very dry and nice out, when I go from 0 to about 50, a squeak squeak squeak emits from the front right wheel. After I reach over 40km/h or take my foot off the gas and put it back, the noise stops.
    My dad thinks its a serpentine belt but then I've read posts that think it's a wheel bearing. To be honest I am not car savvy in the least and the dealership is closed at the moment so I can't get an answer until the morning.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Squeaks can be tough to figure out. Would you say the squeak corresponds with wheel speed or engine speed?

Let's start there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This could also be a brake noise. Maybe have someone get it on stands or a lift and spin the front wheels and inspect the brakes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Squeaks can be tough to figure out. Would you say the squeak corresponds with wheel speed or engine speed?

Let's start there.
    I think it's more the wheel speed. Once the wheels are spinning more the noise subsides. But starting out it just squeaks. Not super high pitched but squeaky enough if that makes sense.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    This could also be a brake noise. Maybe have someone get it on stands or a lift and spin the front wheels and inspect the brakes.
    It just got repaired after a small accident and all of that major stuff was inspected so i dont think its brakes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jennkuhn View Post
    I think it's more the wheel speed. Once the wheels are spinning more the noise subsides. But starting out it just squeaks. Not super high pitched but squeaky enough if that makes sense.
    Then we can look at the most likely first - brakes.

It just got repaired after a small accident and all of that major stuff was inspected so i dont think its brakes
    Hopefully these were inspected but it wouldn't hurt to be sure. Since you have the alloy wheels, it would be easy to see the brake lining (pads) yourself without necessarily taking off your wheel. Would you say the noise changes when you tap your brake pedal?

Aside from the brakes, there is the wheel bearing and the constant velocity (CV) joints on the drive shaft. We have a report of a wheel bearing problem, I think Alex16 had this. If I remember correctly, the wheel was difficult to turn when off the ground. I doubt the CV joint is bad, as it would be the first report that I am aware of.

By the way, how many kilometers are on your 2015 ES now, and how would you describe those miles - mostly highway, or lots of stop and go?
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-19-2017 at 12:59 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

jennkuhn (05-19-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Then we can look at the most likely first - brakes.

Hopefully these were inspected but it wouldn't hurt to be sure. Since you have the alloy wheels, it would be easy to see the brake lining (pads) yourself without necessarily taking off your wheel. Would you say the noise changes when you tap your brake pedal?

Aside from the brakes, there is the wheel bearing and the constant velocity (CV) joints on the drive shaft. We have a report of a wheel bearing problem, I think Alex16 had this. If I remember correctly, the wheel was difficult to turn when off the ground. I doubt the CV joint is bad, as it would be the first report that I am aware of.

By the way, how many kilometers are on your 2015 ES now, and how would you describe those miles - mostly highway, or lots of stop and go?
    Yeah they were inspected because I asked because I was paranoid that something major got missed but it was all good and they replaced a bunch of stuff but nothing brake related.
    It only stops when I take my foot off the gas and put it back, not the brakes.
    It also has 86,000km on it. I got the car used at 50k and the 36km that i have put on it are primarily highway, easily 80%.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jennkuhn For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Yeah they were inspected because I asked because I was paranoid that something major got missed but it was all good and they replaced a bunch of stuff but nothing brake related.
    It also has 86,000km on it. I got the car used at 50k and the 36km that i have put on it are primarily highway, easily 80%.
    Brakes are a VERY likely culprit here. The '14s and '15s are notorious for eating up brake pads. If you got the car at 50,000km they had probably already been done once. Add another 36,000km to that and they are almost certainly due again.

I did my brakes once at 31,000 miles, and again at about 58,000 miles...86,000km = 53,000mi. The brakes were made bigger for 2016/2017 and the pad material was also changed to help with this problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you serviced the brakes since you purchased the car? I can see an accident repair focusing only on the damage caused by the accident, not the condition of the brakes.

Okay, I think you get the picture that a few of us just want to rule out the most likely (and most easy to check) cause. Because if it is something else, it'll take more work and tools to figure out. The wear indicator on brake pads will cause a squeal, just like what you are describing.

Remote diagnosing can be tricky. Any chance you can post of video of this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Brakes are a VERY likely culprit here. The '14s and '15s are notorious for eating up brake pads. If you got the car at 50,000km they had probably already been done once. Add another 36,000km to that and they are almost certainly due again.

I did my brakes once at 31,000 miles, and again at about 58,000 miles...86,000km = 53,000mi. The brakes were made bigger for 2016/2017 and the pad material was also changed to help with this problem.
    I change my front pad @ 35k miles... the rotor are still ok,..