Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are 2015 mirage so slow?

faster than a BMW!

Apparently he wasn't referring to an '82 Camaro with a 4 cylinder and automatic.
    Ha! And it's faster than a BMW too!

Name:  cnte3txywjrn5yrhtvaf.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  81.2 KB

(I still love referring to Jalopnik's takedown of the NYT's bad Mirage review.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

WhiteMirage (09-04-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mirage is waay faster than my dad's (circa 1980) Olds Cutlas diesel. That thing was slow.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would say verified, but I topped 100 in my first car and that was good enough for me. the Mirage doesn't need to go 100. It handles like a dream at 95 though---as long as there's no wind.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

WhiteMirage (09-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think he succeeded based on length of discussion. He didn't need to say anything else to keep the conversation going. Also, it's important to separate quick and fast The mirage is plenty "fast" at 110, but it's not quick to get there. A skid steer, with the same horsepower is definitely not fast, but it will do 0-10 in a space of time too short to be worth measuring.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder why when I test drived a Bugatti it was a lot faster than when I drove a Porsche Boxter. I can't just wrap my head around it.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Comparing a Camaro to the Mirage? Give me a break.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    But really, I remember back in the early days of forums where I was a newb. I remember asking if Twin Turbo was better than Single Turbo, with no context at all. Haha
    That depends on the turbo, the motor, and the vehicle.

AND the driver & intended use.

Et al...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a long stretch of open road with no traffic, so I tested out top speed. Kermit couldn't manage more than 95. That's with wider tires and an out of alignment rear end though. I'm sure Mitsubishi used a 140mph speedometer just to give the impression to young buyers it's a sporty car (LOL), but as an adult, I find it annoying. The speedo realistically should read no higher than 100 or 110. Whatever is more accurate to the top speed. I'm one of those weirdos that has an instrument cluster fetish of sorts. I notice in detail the choice of font, placement and size of gauges, question the choice of increments, and so on. So yes a 140mph speedo in a 3cyl economy car makes my OCD squirm.

But what about when you're on a long mountain descent?? With a tailwind???

The fastest I've driven a car in the last 15 years was coasting down a mountain... in neutral, for fun, to see what its terminal velocity was on that stretch. (Hint: it was higher than 95. Heavier, but less aerodynamic car than the Mirage though.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Jalopnik takedown

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ha! And it's faster than a BMW too!

Name:  cnte3txywjrn5yrhtvaf.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  81.2 KB

(I still love referring to Jalopnik's takedown of the NYT's bad Mirage review.)
    Yes, that Jalopnik piece was outstanding, I loved it !

Got my doors blown off by a granny in a CVT Mirage, granted, I didn't want to really whip my Marshmallow hard, but that CVT was wicked out of the hole and up to 40 or so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)