Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What car did your Mirage replace? Trade-in, sold, or none of the above?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I traded in a 2008 Audi A4 S-Line Avant on my 2018 Mirage ES 5sp. I loved my Audi and will have another one some day but after moving to Florida from Michigan I didn’t need all wheel drive and wanted good fuel economy and with the warranty and great reviews I bought my Mirage. Ive has it three weeks now and have been very happy with it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malfnet1 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-11-2018),inuvik (03-04-2018),Marklovski (03-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    08 Charge SRT8, miss it real bad
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benaragon2012 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Replaced my 2004 Chevy Aveo at 184,000 miles. It was still going strong but little things were starting to go wrong.
    .........................Much better gas mileage with the Mirage.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old n' slow For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (03-11-2018),Cobrajet (03-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benaragon2012 View Post
    08 Charge SRT8, miss it real bad
    Your Mirage must be practically paying for itself in fuel savings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty much haha went from filling up with $55 to $17

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    In my case, the current answer is: none of the above, because I don't have one yet. I'll probably never sell my old Firefly (Metro), though some day I will probably need to get a newer car.
    Hey MetroMPG, time to update??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Well technically it hasn't replaced anything, because my fleet is now one vehicle BIGGER than it used to be. (Minimalism fail!)

But in practical terms, the Mirage relieves my 2000 Metro from winter beater duty. (Which is fantastic, because it's been getting pesky with unexpected problems/repairs cropping up. Also, from day one it's had a broken clutch -- busted damping springs -- which takes much of the enjoyment out of driving stick.)

However, I made a deal with myself that if I was going to get a Mirage, I would get rid of at least one car next year.

That honour will go to the rusty shell of the ForkenSwift - a $1000 electric car I built with a buddy years ago:

Name:  fs-front-3-4.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  43.2 KB
    (ForkenSwift in its non-rusted-out glory days.)

That car's electric guts were sold to another EV builder, and I was hanging onto the carcass ostensibly for parts for a convertible Firefly I have of the same vintage. Which needs restoration. Which I'll probably never get around to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Which needs restoration. Which I'll probably never get around to.
    Time marches on, with or without us. And having a newisher car around means it's even less likely you'll get to those old dreams. I know what that's like. I'm sure there's someone out there who will want that Firefly.

Would love to see those Firefly tires on a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I think the convertible Firefly (Metro) restoration was mostly derailed by getting the $1000 Miata. They both need/ed extensive rust repair to the floors to be roadworthy, but I was more motivated by the way the Miata drives. Way more fun, and still relatively efficient (modded).

EDIT: but I hear what you say about time marching. I'm getting lazier as I get older and have dropped other project plans in favour of just relaxing.

You better believe if the Metro/Firefly bolt pattern was compatible, I'd try it -- 155/80R13, woohoo! Plus I've got a set of lightweight 14" alloys with LRR Potenza RE92's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    You better believe if the Metro/Firefly bolt pattern was compatible, I'd try it -- 155/80R13, woohoo! Plus I've got a set of lightweight 14" alloys with LRR Potenza RE92's.
    If 155/80r13 tires would fit a 2017+ Mirage, I would have sought that snow tire size. The trade off for slightly larger brakes is the need for 14" rims to clear them.

I am thankful for the Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 &/or Nokian Nordman 7 (studded or non-studded) snow tires that come in a 165/65r14 tire size for the U.S. market.