Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems in the Blue Oval Universe (Fiesta/Focus transmission)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I still haven't seen a mirage cvt failure yet out of 35 cars putting on roughly 6000km-10000kms a month. But I've seen tons of dodge diesel and caravan tranny problems throughout the years. Remember the early Ford taurus? The tranny in those were usually good for about 60-80000miles tops. It seems like many vehicles are becoming more disposable everyday, I can't imagine many shops wanting to rebuild a 9 or 10 speed automatic or if they do it won't be cheap! Hence the reason a mirage is a good choice as far as reliability and simplicity goes.
    Ford perfected the reliable transmission, the C4 and C6 (and later, the 4R70W). Like most manufacturers, they are interested in the profitable transmission. If it's extremely reliable, that's a bonus. However, if JATCO can make one as reliable as they do (and profitable), Ford, GM, Chrysler should also be able to do the same.
    I understand profit, from a business' view. I hope the car manufacturers understand that, thinking along those same lines, that some of us will only purchase what we consider a reliable and 'cost effective' product.

The one and only dual clutch Focus owner I've talked to said he'll never buy Ford again as a result of his experience with the transmission.

I actually just warned off an old friend who was considering a Focus automatic. I suggested getting a manual, or looking at a different car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)